Botched upgrade?

Nicco 19:53 30 Mar 05

I've just tried to upgrade the memory on my Windows 98 PC from 64MB to 320MB by installing 2 x 128mb DIMMs. On re-booting, the new memory was not recognised by the PC. So, I tried swapping over the original memory with one of the new ones. Oh dear! Now all I got was a continual beep, beep and a blank screen. So I removed the new DIMMs and put the old memory back where it originally came from. Still only get a beep, beep and a blank screen. Before I go cap in hand to my local PC repair man has anyone any suggestions?
Thanks

sattman 20:49 30 Mar 05

Not sure why the replacement memory is not working, assuming that it is the correct type for your computer. As for the original their is no reason why doing what you have done should have stopped it working. Can you check to make sure that the memory that you are refitting is properly clean and fully seated correctly. Also check that you have not just disturbed a connection on a cable.

sattman 20:50 30 Mar 05

Not sure why the replacement memory is not working, assuming that it is the correct type for your computer. As for the original their is no reason why doing what you have done should have stopped it working. Can you check to make sure that the memory that you are refitting is properly clean and fully seated correctly. Also check that you have not just disturbed a connection on a cable.

sattman 20:52 30 Mar 05

That is strange got message "contains no data” before my post disappeared to give a double posting

rubella 20:57 30 Mar 05

Short your CMOS jumper for a moment.

Nicco 22:43 30 Mar 05

Thanks for the info.

rubella, you suggest shoring the CMOS jumper. Sorry, but not got a clue what that is or how to do it, or even how safe it is. Would appreciate a bit more info.

Jak_1 22:50 30 Mar 05

First things first, what is the original memory. Is it SDRAM PC100? What is the new RAM you have? SDRAM or DDR RAM? The two will not mix? If the motherboard was designed for SDRAM then DDR RAM will not work and Vice versa.

Sounds like SD RAM as your original was a single 64MB chip.

If you bought SD RAM then try re-seating them, if they are not fully home in the slot then they will not be recognised either.

woodchip 22:52 30 Mar 05

Check the Graphics card as not pulled out the slot a bit Remove and refit, also check for plug's that you may have disturbed. Make sure the Memory goes in until the clips go over the end's automatically

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…