Boradband on 2 PC's

JayDay 10:43 11 Mar 05

Question for you on behalf of a friend. 2 PC's in the house opposite ends of the building. Broadband is soon to be to be installed. I assume that if both PC's have adsl modems then they can both access the Internet but not at the same time. Is this correct??

FelixTCat 12:24 11 Mar 05

Yes. One modem would have to be disconnected from the internet before the other was connected.

Why not have only one and network them so that both can share the intenet connection all the time?

JayDay 12:27 11 Mar 05

I was thinking of that but the computers are so far apart it will require a lot of wiring. They aren't huge computer users so I think the above scenario is probably cheaper and easier.

Chezdez 13:40 11 Mar 05

it wouldn't require a lot of cabling, just put the router next to one PC, then you only need one long cable, which can easily be attached to a skirting board, or tucked under the carpet

FelixTCat 14:03 11 Mar 05

You could probably use a wireless network.

I have a wireless connection from a bedroom on the top floor at one end of the house to the lounge on the opposite end of the house on the ground floor. I have a great internet connection and a usable file transfer rate using a 11g wireless system.

A wireless adsl modem router compete with an ethernet cable and a PCI or USB wireless adapter will e about £60. This is about the same as the cost of 2 adsl modems and will be much more flexible.

dave.engsurv 15:19 11 Mar 05

Please note I was going to do two computers by long cables only to be told that the cable from phone socket to router and the cable from router to computer have a limited length. I had to do wireless router to both computers.
I am using BT broadband and routers, I do not know if other makes are different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…