Bootup W98

Windsor 16:45 01 Jan 05

I have recently tried to instal W XP over W98 but it rejects it every time. Still, no matter. However, ever since then on booting up I get a choice of W XP or W98 to choose from when I have removed everything I can find of XP.
How do I get rid of this option. W98 works fine.
Windsor

octal 17:21 01 Jan 05

You probably have to rewrite the Master Boot Record (MBR) with FDISK/ MBR, this is what Microsoft has to say on it:

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 01 Jan 05

you will need to access the boot.ini file and adjust the paths to windows.

octal 18:25 01 Jan 05

Can you explain were the boot.ini file is in Windows 98 please, I don't remember seeing one in 98 and I have just done a search and can't see it, I was under the impression it was in the MBR for Win98, obviously I'm wrong!

Windsor 20:00 01 Jan 05

Octal

Its in the root directory - C: in my case

Windsor

Windsor 20:01 01 Jan 05

Fruit bat:

What should I modify it to? I have tried all sorts nad nothing seems to work!

Windsor

Technotiger 20:06 01 Jan 05

Hi, I am not familiar with Win98, does it have a System Restore? If so perhaps possible to restore to a date before you tried to install XP.
Just a thought.
Good luck anyway.

octal 20:18 01 Jan 05

In that case its probably a file left over from XP, this what's in my C: click here

Can you upload a picture of the file here: click here maybe you can edit it, I don't know.

Technotiger, Win98 doesn't have a system restore as such like XP, you can restore to an earlier registry through the command line but I don't think it will help Windsor in this case, thanks anyway.

Technotiger 20:55 01 Jan 05

Thanks for the info - added to my knowledge base!

Cheers :-)

LinuxPenguin 21:07 01 Jan 05

windows xp has protecxtion to try and prevent you installing an older windows version, its one of the nasties you agree to when installing windows xp (read the licence agreement)

clean the entire drive and start from scratch

Graham ® 21:15 01 Jan 05

There is a system restore of sorts in 98, but we need Woodchip for it.

Something like 'Restart in MS-DOS, scanreg restore'.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…