Bootup problem

tims31 12:21 31 Jan 09

When booting up into an account one time every thing loads ok and then the next time things fail to load up.

Is there any way to delete the bootup sequence that is not booting correctly with the one that is?

Thanks

tims31 17:35 31 Jan 09

bump

Pineman100 18:58 31 Jan 09

More information please.

What version of Windows are you running?

When you talk about 'booting up into an account', do you mean starting up the computer and logging into a user account? If so, what type of account does the (faulty) user have?

When 'things fail to load up', what exactly happens?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 31 Jan 09

If a damaged profile then create a new one and transfer all your details across

click here;en-us;811151

tims31 20:05 31 Jan 09

ok

It is not just one profile it seems to be all of them.

When opening an account the background screen and icons all show as they should but the items in the taskbar take ages to load. I have had a look in task manager and it is when the service wmiprvse.exe is running that things seem to stop loading. Then the items eventually do load but sometimes not all of them and also the hide inactive icons arrows doesn't show and some of the items in the startup folder.

This only seems to happen on every other boot up. one boot is fine and then the next it fails?

It is Win xp.

Pineman100 12:31 02 Feb 09

I've read reports on a number of sites about wmiprvse.exe, and the first thing to say is that - under normal circumstances - it is a Windows system file, so should not be disabled.

However, it does appear that some malware can masquerade under this name, and its location on your computer seems to be a clue to this.

Have a read here: click here

One other suggestion is that out-of-date drivers for a network card can make it misbehave.

tims31 15:52 04 Feb 09

Pineman 100

Thanks for that but have read that too. It is installed in the win32 folder and nowhere else. Will have to have a look at the drivers but haven't made any changes to the network ones for a while. The only thing I can think is I did allow networking for the kids Xbox a while ago but then stopped that as I thought that may be causing the problem. I disabled this network share in media player and the service. Maybe I should start that again and try to see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…