Bootup Password Forgotten

OneCardShort 10:45 11 Mar 05

My Uncle (for real), 80, who I am attempting to assist has forgotten his password when he first boots up his computer. He is running Win 95, has misplaced his original installation disk(s) and does not appear to have a rescue disk. His data is backed up, mostly.
What can I do to get his computer back up?
I have explained to him it may ultimately be necessary to reformat the drive and thus lose all data, an outcome he is prepared for, though I don't how to do this as I can't get past the log in stage.
Thoughts most welcome.
FYI, I am running XP, but have an old backup copy of Win95 from a previous machine.

mattyc_92 10:54 11 Mar 05

When you say "Bootup Password", do you mean the BIOS password or the login detials for Windows (when you have to type in a username and password to access the system)??

OneCardShort 11:04 11 Mar 05

I assume BIOS password. (there is no user name request) Bootup process starts, whether cold or warm reboot (ctrl-alt-del), then blank screen will appear awaiting the input of password.

mattyc_92 11:12 11 Mar 05

The BIOS password can be removed by "reverting the BIOS to Factory Settings"....

1)Unplug the system from the wall and remove ALL cables from the back of the CPU

2)Using a screw-driver, remove the casing off the CPU

3)Look out for the CMOS battery (it is a sliver disk battery) and remove it....

4)Leave the battery out for around 10 minutes, then put it back in and replace the case....

5)Put the cables back into the back of the system and turn the system on....

The password prompt shouldn't exist anymore...

mattyc_92 11:14 11 Mar 05

I have just read this thread again, and it sounds like a Windows Password.... Do you see the Boot-screen for Windows (the one with the clouds and the "Starting Windows 95" statement)

OneCardShort 11:18 11 Mar 05

Thank you mattyc_92.

No wonder I didn't know how to do this, never having opened the "bonnet". A true software junkie.

OneCardShort 11:27 11 Mar 05

Sorry, I responded before your last post.
Re windows, I don't believe the windows Boot-screen has started. As I recall, System goes through initial checks and then prompts for password, prior to any windows start up.

I will pop over to my Uncles place and take very careful note of the steps and get back to this thread, but that will be tonight at earliest.

Thanks again for your help.

OneCardShort 20:03 11 Mar 05

Further to my last post
System is turned on, commences memory check. There is the message
"Hit DEL if you want to run SetUp"
When memory check is complete, then blank screen with
"Enter CURRENT Password"

If the DEL key is pressed, goes straight to "Enter ..."
At no stage is there a windows screen

I assume this is a BIOS password prompt, and am preparing to undertake the above solution.

Thank you again

1cs

mattyc_92 20:22 11 Mar 05

Ok.... But REMEMBER to keep the battery out for at least 10 minutes for it to take effect....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…