Boots Up but then freezes

D-Frame 14:52 10 May 04

Hey Again :D

Im running Windows ME on my system and installed a DVD-ROM 2 days ago. I wired it up properly (well i hope i did) and turned the computer on. I checked that BIOS thing and it picked it up. But when i continued to Windows the desktop background comes on the the keyboard and the mouse freezes up. I took out the DVD-ROM and tried to get back onto windows and it frezes in the same place. I can however access it in Safe Mode, but it would have helped if i could have Safe Mode with Networking as i would have posted this yesterday.

Please help (thats if you understood what i wrote)

- Dale

rawprawn 15:11 10 May 04

It sounds like one of the services to me, it's a slow job but if you go into msconfig in safe mode, and untick services say 5 at a time to narrow it down & find out which is causing the trouble.

D-Frame 15:17 10 May 04

Well im at the library at the moment so i'd have to write this down and tell you what happens tommorow.

So you want me to go into START --> RUN --> msconfig then untick 5 services?

Because im not at my computer may i ask what does this process actually do???

rawprawn 16:16 10 May 04

Start/Run/ then the services tab/ To see if it will save time start by putting a tick in the box that says Hide all Microsoft, that will cut down the number to check. Untick the 2 or 3 at a time and reboot, if it still hangs go back retick the ones you just did and untick 2or 3 more and so on. Hopefully the problem will not be in any of MS services and you can find out which is causing the problem.If you can't find the problem you will have to go through the whole list until you find which one is causing the problem. Just as a matter of interest have you run Ad-aware & spybot to check for problems ? also your antivirus.

rawprawn 16:36 10 May 04

Sorry ignore that last remark, it was stupid,. If you can't get in you can't run anything.

woodchip 16:46 10 May 04

It sound like a driver problem

woodchip 16:46 10 May 04

Can you do a system restore in Safe Mode

rawprawn 17:27 10 May 04

Can D-Frame get to system tools in safe mode, if so he can check the drivers.

woodchip 17:37 10 May 04

Never had WinME only just got XP on a new Comp and still like 98se better. as I know my way around and it gives more flexibility. As can work in DOS if all else fails

D-Frame 17:27 11 May 04

I dont have a thing called 'services' in the msconfig thing. Also i dont have system restore enabled.

rawprawn 21:33 11 May 04

I don't have time tonight, but when you go to msconfig and the box comes up what are the tabs at the top?. I have not used ME for a long time & I have forgotten, I will get back tomorrow if you haven't solved the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…