bootmgr missing!

salamader 15:05 31 Dec 11

Hey,

I recently put together my own desktop and it went fine. I fired it up this morning (as i was waiting for a pci-e adapter to arrive in the post this morning, as it was the last piece missing).

it loads up, but i didnt get the same asus splash screen that is shown in all the screen shots in the motherboard manual.

I didnt think anything of it at the time, and 2 options came up 1)enter bios, or 2) enter system setup. However it wouldnt let me enter bios no matter how many times i spammed f2, so i went into system setup and there wasnt that much to do..strangely..

So i insert windows 7 disk..loads up..finds my hard drive etc...and then it gets to the "extending windows files" part of the installation and it tells me that theres a file missing or corrupted.

I come out of the setup, and i reboot the pc...and now all i get is "bootmgr missing".

and i have no idea how to fix this! i cannot get into bios, the splash screen doesnt show up and i get no other option other than to press ctrl alt del to restart the computer...

so..... anyone have any ideas?

johndrew 15:14 31 Dec 11
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:18 31 Dec 11

Boot from the DVD

from the menu select startup repair

Windows Installation Disk NOTE

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Windows DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows installation

13/ Once the Windows installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the set of recovery options

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

salamader 15:32 31 Dec 11

thanks for those ideas, but unfortunately none of them work.

see, nothing was ever installed as i never got all the way through the installation as there was something wrong with the windows disk i was using.

However i tried repairing, and i got the startup repair option, clicked repair, and it just came up with "cannot repair automatically". so i clicked on the show details, and it just says that the boot mgr could not be found.

sigh

lotvic 15:42 31 Dec 11

Disconnect the Harddrive (for now) and concentrate on sorting out/being able to access the BIOS.

To safely shut down when you need to, just hold in the power button for about 10 seconds.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:54 31 Dec 11

Clean the DVD and try to reinstall windows

salamader 23:02 01 Jan 12

I do hope you all had a good new year!

I have finally managed to get into my bios! stupidly, by using a 5yr old keyboard and a different monitor I was able to be presented with the motherboard splash screen and get into the bios! hurrah!

except that my copy of windows 7 still isnt working, but im going to assume that its a duff copy and not a hardware fault?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:20 02 Jan 12

Something that often works is to copy the original disk and install from the copied disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now