BOOTMGR is missing

Red Devil 22:02 14 Jan 09

Hi all,

OK, I had a major software and hardware failure today that necessitated a reinstall of Windows Vista.

But the infamous BOOTMGR is missing, press ctrl+alt+del to restart error has struck.

I have used the recovery/repair tool on the Vista DVD and have also done the command prompt option and entered bootrec /bootfix.

I get the message that the operation completed successfully but whenever I restart my PC, unless I have the Vista DVD in my drive I still get the BOOTMGR is missing error.

I am currently updating Windows and then installing all my PCs drivers but, after that, does anyone have any help on how to fix this frustrating error?

I have a PC with 3 SATA HDs, 1 partitioned into 2 partitions giving me 4 HDs in effect and 2 SATA DVD-RAMs but no IDE HDs. Would this setup have anything to do with my issues?

Many thanks,

RD

Red Devil 00:00 15 Jan 09

updated some hardware drivers and all is fine now, though I wish I didn't have the aBit boot manager putting a 20 second delay in Windows starting. ;)

Red Devil 00:50 15 Jan 09

Problem has come back again already so if anyone has any advice on how to solve this I would be very grateful.

rdave13 04:42 15 Jan 09

Have a look here; click here

Red Devil 07:35 15 Jan 09

Tried what that suggsested but it still didn't work.

However, what I DID find was 4 old Windows installations:-

Windows.old
Windows.old.000
Windows.old.001
Windows.old.002

I wonder if that's behind the issue and how do I safely remove these old installations without causing myself more issues?

Red Devil 08:24 15 Jan 09

Went through the fixing it process all over again.

Stillget the error message unless the Vista DVD is in my DVD drive :(

Red Devil 12:37 02 Apr 09

Yet I don't know how.

Removed my Windows CD from my DVD drive and tried to boot up Windows. It worked without the BOOTMGR missing or damaged error message and has continued to boot without issue since.

Weird.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac