Bootmgr is compressed - CAN'T RESTART

Dirty Dick 15:03 14 Aug 08

I have a laptop running Vista, and decided to "compress drive to save disc space". Now when I restart the laptop, it comes up with a [prompt saying "Bootmgs is compressed. Press Ctrl + Alt + delete to restart" . I press the three buttons, and it just goes round in circles !

How can I restart my laptop

Thanx

DD

rawprawn 15:21 14 Aug 08

I came across this suggestion for a fix but I haven't tried this myself, so try it at your own risk.

1) Boot from the Vista DVD.

2) Click 'Repair my Computer'

3) At the prompt to select your OS installation, click the button that says 'Load Drivers'. This should bring up a explorer-style drive browser.

4) Then just right-click on the drive you tried to compress, and deselect 'Compress this Drive', which should still be ticked on. Hit apply, and apply to subfolders/files.

5) Reboot.

BurrWalnut 15:22 14 Aug 08

Boot from the Vista DVD, answer a few questions, navigate to the Repair Option and choose Command Prompt.

Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR (capitals are for clarity only) and press Enter
Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT (capitals are for clarity only) and press Enter
Type EXIT (capitals are for clarity only) and press Enter
Remove the DVD and let it restart.

woodchip 15:31 14 Aug 08

You have done a real boo boo doing that, I only did it once, with a old computer. You are going to have problems getting the Drive back

woodchip 15:34 14 Aug 08

You have to use the program that compressed the drive. It may be by using the Command prompt when starting the compute, to get at the program to run it. You could try last known good configuration, but have my doubts that it will work

BurrWalnut 15:49 14 Aug 08

I have been doing a bit of digging and have found this for ‘decompressing’ an XP disk. As a last resort it’s worth trying it in Vista. This example will decompress all files on drive C: (note the spaces, the capitals are for clarity only):
Boot from the Vista DVD, answer a few questions, select ‘Repair’, then the Command prompt.
Type CD C:\ and press Enter (change to the root folder of drive C).
Type COMPACT /U /S /I /F /Q and press Enter (decompress the whole of drive C).
When it finishes type EXIT and press Enter (close the cmd window).
It will take quite some time to do the whole drive.

The parameters are shown here click here

Dirty Dick 17:51 14 Aug 08

I used BurrWalnut's suggestion, and it worked fine. Biggest problem, and probably the same for everyone, is finding your original Vista disc !!

Thanx for all your suggestions.

Only one query now !

Before I compressed the drive, it was showing that about 30 Gb of my hard drive was being used, and after compressing and then un-compessing, it now shows that I have about 24 Gb now being used. I don't appear to have lost any of my data, but why so much difference if i have reverted back to the beginning??

BurrWalnut 19:11 14 Aug 08

I’m glad, and relieved, you sorted it out.

Did you use XP’s compact command or Vista’s bootrec, I‘d like to know for my records?

Once again I’d like to repeat, that for those who don’t have a Vista DVD you can download and create a Recovery Disk (32-bit x86 or 64-bit x64) click here

After downloading the image to your hard disk, create a CD in ISO format (a DVD is not necessary as the 32-bit version is 120MB and the 64-bit version is 148MB).

It works in the same way as the Vista DVD, i.e. boot from the disk, choose ‘Press any key to boot from CD/DVD’ and Vista will start to load the Windows files. Select your language, time, currency and keyboard then click ‘Repair’ in the bottom left corner. Within the repair option there are five choices: Startup Repair, System Restore, Backup Restore, Memory Test and Command Prompt.

woodchip 22:58 14 Aug 08

Restore is using a lot of your disc, it wants reducing to about 9%

skidzy 23:03 14 Aug 08

If system restore is using a lot of the hdd space,you can reclaim this,this link will guide you through the procedure click here

Excellent post BurrWalnut..thankyou,bookmarked.

woodchip 23:07 14 Aug 08

Hi Skidzy, I thought you was going on Holiday! did the plain come down in the Sea?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac