bootmagic/partition magic boot up problem

sicon67 18:14 03 Apr 04

I installed the above mentioned software on to my computer without reading exactly what I was installing, intending to make a partition at a later date.

My computer now tries to boot up with boot magic and hangs. My only way to get my computer to work is to now boot up in safe mode. I removed the software and have done a system restore but it still has the same problem.

I know now I could have disabled boot magic but because I removed it and have gone back to the date I installed the software to try and disable it-it is no longer there but still tries to load up.

I borrowed the software from a friend but she now has it back and I won't see her for a couple of weeks.

I hope I have made sense and would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thank you

Diodorus Siculus 18:24 03 Apr 04

See if there is a file on the c drive called boot.ini (likely to be a hidden file so tell explorer to view all files) and if there is, copy the text from it and paste here; also create a copy of it onto a floppy.

When it is here, someone may have the knowhow to tell you what it should read; also give details of your setup - operating system, hard disks, dual boot (if any) and so forth.

Brian-336451 18:30 03 Apr 04

If you 'just' installed it, did you 'just' not make the rescue floppies that the program recommends?

That is not sarcastic, (looks that way but isn't) but IF you did, you can boot from the floppy and sort the problem out from there.

If all goes to ratshit, if it were me, I'd consider using my OS CD and reinstalling the operating system again over writing what's there. You shouldn't lose anything, but it will probably sort out the boot magic problem.

Do you use Norton Ghost, if so rstore from that.

Failing that, you've got yourself a problem unless you can get hold of the PM8 cd.

Good luck

sicon67 18:37 03 Apr 04

Thanks for the quick reply.

I hope this is what you mean?

[boot loader]
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

I don't have dual boot up. I have xp home, my hard disk details are:
TOSHIBA MK3017GAP [Hard drive] (30.00 GB) -- drive 0
29.99 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
12.32 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

sicon67 18:43 03 Apr 04

I took my laptop to college and just installed the software. Don't have a floppy on my laptop.

I can get the software again, but in a couple of weeks. My computer came with xp on it and the xp driver wipes the OS off so that's a last resort.

Don't have norton ghost unless on its norton virus checker??

Diodorus Siculus 18:59 03 Apr 04

sicon67 - yes, that is the bootini file, but it looks normal to me... I thought that perhaps it might have a reference to BootMagic in it.

When you start in safe mode, and run msconfig, is there anything there which mentions BootMagic?

sicon67 19:47 03 Apr 04

The only file in startup is datakeeper which I deselected.

If I reinstall PM8/bootmagic then disable it will it work? I can live with being in safe mode for the time being if that is the case.

Diodorus Siculus 19:53 03 Apr 04

Can't be sure if a reinstall of PM will sort it for you... worth a try I suppose. Or perhaps a reinstall of Windows...

GaT7 01:01 04 Apr 04

"If a customer is unable to uninstall their PowerQuest program, have them search for and remove all the program's GUIDs. These GUIDs may exist as folders on their hard drive or as keys in the Windows registry." Source: click here

Boot in Safe mode. Backup your registry before making any changes.

Then try deleting the remaining Bootmagic's GUIDs that may still be in the Registry AND on your hard drive:

For BootMagic 8.0: look for & delete - B838AD63-FD0C-482C-B124-7116748BAC45

For BootMagic 7.0: look for & delete - E9B100F7-F36F-40E7-93D6-BB4C5377AAE4

Also see: 1. click here. 2. click here

temp003 01:56 04 Apr 04

Did this problem start only after you uninstalled Bootmagic in Safe Mode?

Boot managers like that write themselves into the MBR code. Instead of loading the normal MBR code, BIOS loads the boot manager code.

Is there a message at startup which gives you an option to disable bootmagic? If so, try that.

Your laptop has not got a floppy drive? Then you can't use XP boot floppy to boot into XP. You can't use a 98 floppy to do an fdisk /mbr command to rewrite the MBR code. Your CD is a Restore CD, so you can't use XP Recovery Console.

See if you can borrow a proper XP installation CD from someone, then you might be able to get into Recovery Console and try the fixmbr command.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…