Bootloop

jopi 14:24 05 Mar 12

Hi I am a 74 year old grandmother with my three children and seven grandchildren all living abroad so rely on keeping in touch via skype, unfortunately my computer has developed a bootloop, so I cannot even get onto the hard drive anymore, every place I have been for help so far have tried to sell me a new pc which I can't afford as I only have my pension and nothing saved at the moment. Is there any solution to this problem other than buying a new pc. I don't want to ask my kids for help as they have more than their share of expenses with their young families.

northumbria61 14:43 05 Mar 12

Try starting in Safe Mode (repeatedly tapping f8 as the PC starts) - you should get the option to select Last Known Good Configuration.

northumbria61 14:48 05 Mar 12

If you can get to Safe Mode go to Control Panel - System (Icon) - System Properties - Startup & Recovery - untick Automatically Restart.

birdface 15:32 05 Mar 12

jopi

First post for 9 years however did you remember your username and password.

As northumbria61 says try starting in safe mode if F8 does not work try F5,Use the up and down buttons on the keyboard to get to where you want.

If last good configuration does not work you could try a system restore to a previous time.

If an old computer check the air vents for Dust and Fluff if so inside would need cleaning as well.

I take it you had no problems with the time and date shifting before you got this problem.

Are you using XP. Desktop or Laptop.Any sort of information that will help others to help you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:32 05 Mar 12

What operating system are you using? XP, Vista or Windows 7?

jopi 15:43 05 Mar 12

I am using windows xp, I can get as far as the options for safe mode with or without internet connection or last known good configuration, but whichever one I choose goes as far as showing windows logo then shuts down and restarts, even tried putting in a professional reboot disk someone lent me - if I could just get to the hard drive or into dos I could reformat and reload windows (ummm I think lol)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:06 05 Mar 12

You have a XP pro CD?

Is your system XP pro or Home (you cannot mix disks)

If / when you have the correct disk do a repair.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

jopi 16:34 05 Mar 12

Hi! Buteman, I remembered my login details but not my password requested a reminder email, I am using my laptop to write this, I have XP professional on both this and desktop, I do keep my pc clean regularly take side of and clean inside etc., am quite pc savvy, just never encountered this bootloop problem before whem my last pc crashed I managed to reformat the hard drive and partition off the damages area and reload windows, my daughter used it for the longest time. I will try all your suggestions and let you know how I get on. Thank you

jopi 16:39 05 Mar 12

Hi! Fruit Bat, This sounds most helpful, I can get into Bios, so I will try this, I will have to use the jelly bean key finder to find which XP disc I am using on this laptop, so I don't put the wrong XP disc into my desktop, I will try all you suggest and let you know how I get on. Thank you

onthelimit1 16:47 05 Mar 12

If your installed OS is XP pro, and the disk you have is XP pro, there should be no problem as long as you have the key off the COA sticker

jopi 18:32 05 Mar 12

Fruit Bat you are my knight in shining armour, it is now like a new computer, now I have to figure how to set up my broardband connection, managed to get my email going, so guess I will figure it out, the connection wizard only offers me dial-up options. THANK YOU - THANK YOU- THANK YOU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos