Bootloader vanished

onthebog 21:43 10 Aug 08

I have XP Pro and Vista Ultimate in a dual-boot configuration. Last night I re-installed XP without any problems. The bootloader, however, is missing. It used to read "Older Versions of WIndows" and "Vista Ultimate". I can access all my Vista files through Explorer in XP, but the option to boot to Vista has gone. The PC just goes straight to XP. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help in advance.

MAT ALAN 21:54 10 Aug 08

click here

this may help...

Zeppelyn 21:55 10 Aug 08

Thats because when you reinstalled XP it wrote a new MBR which wipes the Vista boot sector. Assuming you have a Vista DVD then boot PC from DVD and when the install screen appears choose Repair My Computer which is in bottom left of screen. From there choose start up repair and Vista should repair the boot sector tho it may need 2 attempts.

Zeppelyn 22:04 10 Aug 08

Also if you dont have the Vista DVD then you can make your own recovery disk from:- click here

onthebog 22:14 11 Aug 08

Thanks for the suggestions. Will report back and let you all know.

onthebog 09:02 21 Aug 08

Zeppelyn. Tried your suggestion with the Repair disc. It worked fine and booted into Vista, but the option to boot to XP vanished. I did a repair of XP FIXBOOT and FIXMBR and got XP back, but again no boot options. I'm guessing I need to edit something. Thanks for the suggestions and help so far folks.

Zeppelyn 15:19 21 Aug 08

Again by doing that you have wiped the Vista bootsector. The easiest way to add XP to the Vista boot menu is to use a program called Easy BCD. Click here click here.

The download link is at bottom, can be installed in XP too.

onthebog 17:25 21 Aug 08

Thanks for that. I used VistaBootPro and have both OS's working again. Cheeers everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…