Boot.ini problem

Demora 20:33 03 Dec 03

I've noticed over the past couple of days a boot up problem. The PC does its POST then comes up with 'Invalid boot.ini file Booting from C:\windows. everything then works but whats all this about. The boot.ini file isn't in the C directory.

I'm running winXP on an Athlon 1.3ghz 1gig ram etc (Self built 3 years ago) Never had much trouble with it apart from the DVD rom and Graphivcs card but thats all ok and pc works a dream NORMALLY.

Diodorus Siculus 20:38 03 Dec 03

boot.ini may be in C drive - have you set the machine to show hidden files.

Did you ever have a dual boot set up?

powerless 20:51 03 Dec 03

Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View...

Setting the computer to show hidden files will not be enough to allow you to see this file in C:
The boot.ini file is a protected operating system file so you need to uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)"

You'll then have to click OK at the warning.

Start, Run, Type:

Click OK

Does it look ok? (you can do this anyway without unchecking or checking anything)

Start, Run, Type:

Click OK.

Click BOOT.INI [at the top] then click "Check all boot paths", what does it say about the paths?

Have you scanned for a virus?

Demora 21:19 03 Dec 03

Well. I've scanned for a virus. (Using PCCillin updated today) Nothing. I've also checked MSCONFIG and I don't have BOOT.INI' at the top at all.

No pointers here. All files are in view nothing is hidden. I always make sure I can see everything (well as much as possible) in All directories.
..Even did a system restore..

As I said everything is working fine BUT this at boot up is puzzling me.

DieSse 21:46 03 Dec 03

If you have a FAT32 hard drive file system, you could boot up with a Win98 folppy, and look at all files in C from DOS.

If you can, my boot.ini file is as follows - to give you some idea what it looks like.

[boot loader]

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Note it's for XPPRO - if you want one for XPHome, no doubt someone can show you that too.

VoG II 21:51 03 Dec 03

[boot loader]

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Demora 22:19 03 Dec 03

OK I've found in 'c:\windows\pss a boot.ini.bak file wich reads

[boot loader]
timeout = 30
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
dated 21/10.03
I don't have a dual boot system and I'm running NTFS file system.

I know that I could do with formatting the C drive but 'm trying to put that off for a couple of weeks. (christmas day seems like the favout=rite date to me..... get out of the kitchen etc)

Thanks for your help so far though guys.

VoG II 22:22 03 Dec 03

Open that file in Notepad and save to C: as boot.ini

DieSse 22:49 03 Dec 03

Just to clarify what VOG says (in case you need it clarifying).

When you save it, save it into the root of C - not back into the folder the .bak version is.

The root of C means not into a folder - just into the basic section of the C drive.

Apologies if I'm restating the blindingly obvious.

Demora 22:50 03 Dec 03

Been there, done that. No change. Ah well I'm off to bed and see what I can do tomorrow.

woodchip 22:57 03 Dec 03

Create a copy of the file into C:\ root and remove the .Bak

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…