boot.ini missing - how to create in notepad?

djbenny 09:18 17 Sep 09

hello

boot.ini file is missing windows still boots however i need the boot .ini file for correct

from my laptop i got my boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

but im not sure which parts need to be changed as the xp install on the pc is in Device/Harddisk1\Partition0

any help

i have tried bootcfg /rebuild but it fails

johndrew 10:00 17 Sep 09

This should solve the problem click here

For the future, you could make a backup of boot.ini, using such as ATI, as a separate file. This would allow a re-installation which is far quicker.

djbenny 12:51 17 Sep 09

that does not work as i mentioned in the first post

failed to detect any windows installation

nob14 13:29 17 Sep 09

Any help

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:45 17 Sep 09

boot.ini file is missing windows still boots

Windows will NOT boot with the ini file missing or corrupt so it must be on your machine somewhere.

Its usually in the root of C drive but may be in the root of another drive or partition if you have any.

johndrew 16:59 17 Sep 09

The hard way.

Open `My Computer`. Select `Tools/Folder Options`. Go to `View`. Select `Show hidden files and folders`. Uncheck `Hide extensions for known file types` and `Hide protected operating system files` click `Apply` and `OK`.

Go to `C:\Windows\pss` and identify the backup of `boot.ini`. Copy this DO NOT CUT it.

Go to `C:\` and `Paste` it. Right click it and re-name it `boot.ini`.

Open `Tools/Folder Options` and reverse the selections made. Click `Apply` and `OK`.

This should resolve the problem.

johndrew 17:07 17 Sep 09

You should also note what Fruit Bat /\0/\ says. It is possible the PC is booting using the backup copy of boot.ini but equally it may exist elsewhere.

Your comment about `bootcfg /rebuild` not working is confusing as you should be booting from the XP CD. Perhaps you could tell us what you are doing and where the process is failing?

woodchip 17:47 17 Sep 09

In Control Panel Folders click on the Settings and set to show Hidden Files

woodchip 17:48 17 Sep 09

sorry already in print above

djbenny 18:54 17 Sep 09

click here

that is the images of what im getting in xp

bootcfg fails to detected then on bootup says

"INAVLID BOOT.INI
STARTING C:/WINDOWS"

djbenny 19:19 17 Sep 09

there is also no backup file in c:\windows\pss

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…