Boot.Ini File

johnbhoy 23:13 02 Apr 04

Hi Guys,

Got a slight problem. I have installed both Windows 98SE and Windows XP Pro. Both working fine, I started toying around with Windows 2003 server and started to install this on another hard drive. to cut a long story short, the install failed and no my boot.ini file has 3 choices, 98SE, XP Pro and Windows default which I cannot get rid of. I have edited the boot.ini file to only have 98SE and XP Pro, but on boot up, the choice has all 3 and I cannot get rid of the Windows Default, which is the automatic choice.

is there a hidden boot.ini file which is being used which I cannot find.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

Giggle n' Bits 00:08 03 Apr 04

your answer to find out what partitions you really have under windows. You will need a Boot Disk for 98/ME or to boot from a 98/ME CD choose option 3 when promted then at the prompt type FDISK and tap enter.

I would take all 3 partitions out if found and create 1 new partiton then exit then install you XP fresh and keep it.

vinnyo123 00:52 03 Apr 04

I believe win 2003 (win server programs) will install system files and boot files on two drives if it is available when installing OS.Or it will seperate them on partitions also.

temp003 01:55 03 Apr 04

In the boot.ini file, you must also edit the line that begins with default= ...

As far as I understand, W2k3 Server uses the same kind of boot loader as XP. After its installation, it will become the "default" choice of OS.

You must have deleted the reference to w2k3 server under the section [operating systems], without editing the default line. Your present default line refers to the path to an OS not listed in the OS section, so the boot loader is intelligent enough to call it Windows Default.

Make sure there are only references to XP and 98 in the [operating systems] section, and then edit the default line.

If you want XP Pro to be the default, edit the line to read:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(x)partition(y)\WINDOWS

The numbers x and y should be the same as in the line under [operating systems] section.

If you want 98 to be default, it should be "default=C:\" without quotes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…