Booting into Safe Mode hangs

Compassion 21:32 21 Mar 05

I've recently come home for the holidays to find that my parents' computer (Win2K with SP1) is so slow and problem-ridden that it's about to fall over. I know how to fix most of the problems, but when I tried I discovered that I can't even boot into Safe Mode!

When I try, I get to the "Starting Windows..." screen, the progress bar fills all the way up, then it hangs. It boots into normal mode fine (if rather slowly), and I'm at a loss about what could be causing this? I thought Safe Mode was supposed to be the reliable one!

Thanks for any help,

C

stalion 21:54 21 Mar 05

have you run checks for viruses and spyware?

Compassion 23:57 21 Mar 05

Yep. I've scanned with Avast Anti-Virus, MS Anti-Spyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Bazooka and Ad-Adware. All came up with nothing. I was trying to boot into Safe Mode to do another virus/spyware scan, and also to change a few other settings, but it doesn't want to load at all.

I've never had this problem before, and I'm quite anxious to get it fixed in case the machine starts to have major problems, and I need to use Safe Mode, but I can't find any reasons why this might be happening.

Robin0759 00:20 22 Mar 05

Have you looked on Microsoft knowledge base?

Try this article click here;en-us;243068

Compassion 14:41 24 Mar 05

Thanks for the article, Robin0759. It described my problem exactly. MS didn't seem to have a solution though, but I went looking and found another article that suggested trying Last Known Good configuration. Unfortunately, at this point the machine collapsed entirely, so I'm doing a clean reinstall instead. Lucky the instructions were in this month's PCA!

Thanks stalion & Robin0759 for your help,

C

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…