booting problems

d'oh 18:33 17 Aug 06

turning on my P.C. the initial boot up screen appears then the screen shows a message "TRAP 000006 EXCEPTION" then a lot of numbers and letters. Windows XP will not load at all. I am using a second hand computer and i do not have an XP disk/rescue disk...Any suggestions? Is it a hardware problem? the computer is about 4 years old. thanks

User-312386 19:51 17 Aug 06

When starting hit the delete key and advise if you can get into the BIOS please

d'oh 20:47 17 Aug 06

yes! the bios screen comes up

Diversion 02:59 23 Aug 06

It looks like your graphics card has packed in or is about to do so, this happened to my first second hand computer. The numbers and letters that you see flashing up the screen are supposed to be graphics, but what you are seeing is the (ASCII Code = American Standard Code for Information Interchange) that makes up the graphics. You can pick a plug in and play one up from any PC shop or buy one online click here Hover your cursor over the products on the web page and its next day delivery too.

I hope this helps Regards D

d'oh 17:19 23 Aug 06

Thanks...I'll look into it.

skell 21:05 23 Aug 06

before you go out and spend money see if you can borrow a friends monitor or better still a windows disk and try and boot using that. it could just be missing some bootup files for it to boot properly.

d'oh 23:44 23 Aug 06

Thanks for the advice....Every one i've spoken to has windows already installed on their P.C. and are unwilling to let me have a go with their recovery disc (I don't know if this matters or not ). Can I use someone else's disc on my P.C.??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5