Booting up problems

The Dazza 11:37 15 May 06

A friend has a machine that has a problem powering up.When you switch it on it beeps a few times but no signal goes to the monitor.I have changed the power supply-same problem. I have tried a different graphics card-same problem (although I'm not 100% sure the replacement works). Any suggestions??

Diodorus Siculus 11:55 15 May 06

Given that it is beeping, you can diagnose the problem:

PC Hell: BIOS Error Beep Codes
click here

BIOS Beep Codes
click here

What the beeps mean will differ according to the number and length.

The Dazza 12:06 15 May 06

I have put the original graphics card back in and it now boots up.It loads windows xp and just at the stage it's about to show the desktop a blue screen flashes up really quickly and then reboots.This happens continually until you power off.

The Dazza 12:13 15 May 06

after leaving the machine 5 minutes I have booted it up & is working fine now although is asking me for drivers for the graphics card.Any clues as to what is going on

The Dazza 12:44 15 May 06

I have just tried booting the pc up and it came up with kernal_Data_inpage_error blue screen. Then when I rebooted it comes up boot failure, insert boot diskette in A.
Please help!

Diodorus Siculus 12:51 15 May 06

Give some details of the operating system please

The Dazza 12:52 15 May 06

Windows XP

Diodorus Siculus 12:54 15 May 06

Do you have the XP CD? If so

click here
scannow sfc - how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) or, failing that, click here
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

The Dazza 13:31 15 May 06

I cannot get the machine to boot up at the present so unable to use scannow sfc. So you think a xp repair may work?

Diodorus Siculus 13:44 15 May 06

Yes, boot with the XP CD and choose a repair install.

The Dazza 14:22 15 May 06

I'll get the disk & try that then. May take me a couple of days to get the disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos