Booting problem

bruno 19:23 01 Nov 05

My mate has a Duron 800 using windows 98.He has a problem whereby the computer does not boot up.I looked at it and went into the bios and found that his hard drive was "not installed".I changed this to "user" and saved the settings when I exited the bios.It worked fine fine 5 or 6 goes,then the fault happened again.Sometimes when it is "not installed" it is possible to get to "user",other times it is not.Would I be right in suspecting his hard drive is about to pack up?

Diodorus Siculus 20:01 01 Nov 05

Sounds like the hard dirve playing up all right. Worth running the desk checking utility on it.

bruno 21:05 01 Nov 05

The problem may be to keep it running long enough to do this.Do you mean desk checking or disk checking.Not to sure what you mean.

Diodorus Siculus 21:14 01 Nov 05

That was a typo. Meant disk checking.

Boot with a Win98 floppy, such as from click here an dyou can run the utility from there

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:24 01 Nov 05

I would consider changing the CMOS Battery
click here. It looks as if the BIOS is losing the settings for the HDD rather than the rive itself being faulty.

The CMOS battery will die after appox 5/6 years how old is this PC?

A new battery is only a couple of quid.

bruno 17:24 02 Nov 05

It is 4/5 years old.That could be worth trying.I noticed that the clock does not give the correct time.Is anything lost when you change over?

bruno 17:31 02 Nov 05

Diodorus Siculus.
Is it possible to load the 98 boot disc info onto a cd and use that as my comp does not have a floppy drive and I can't get his onto the internet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 02 Nov 05

No,
but you my need to check you CPU speed settings in BIOS

bruno 11:18 03 Nov 05

I fitted a new battery but it has not made a difference.I managed to stay on the comp for about 10 minutes and then it froze,when I rebooted it ,it came up that hard drive was "not installed".It appears that once it is warmed up I cannot access the "user" function,although it will come on ok the first time I switch on.All the fans are working and the temperatures are 30 /38 degrees.

Splork 11:25 03 Nov 05

Find out what make the HD is and download diagnostic software from the manufacturers site, which will tell you if the drive is failing. You can usually download a DOS version as an .ISO to burn to CD.

bruno 14:20 03 Nov 05

I'll do that and see where I get.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…