Booting Problem

Logov 23:10 10 Dec 03

I have a AMD CPU (1.6 GHz) system, 512Mb of RAM running two HDD's (both 7200) one of 12Gb which is my main drive and a Second drive of 80Gb which I use to store most of my programs and software. (Having four kids this makes sense). Both drives run Windows XP Pro.

Anyway, my system ran brilliantly with the smaller drive configured as master and the bigger as slave. Then I encountered virus trouble which had somehow got past my Mcafee AV software (A Blaster virus). Doing all things correctly I managed to get rid of it but afterwards one problem occurred, in that all my icons and taskbar of the desktop had disappeared about two weeks after the virus had gone from my main drive and after the slave had been scanned also. I checked everything and after receiving advice I reinstalled XP. The icons returned and all seemed ok until after I reconnected the slave drive (I wanted to avoid any accidents so disconnected it for the reinstall). Instead of booting to the master, XP boots to the slave. I have checked and rechecked the jumper settings and all is as it should be. If I connect each drive seperately they boot fine and I can find nothing wrong. But both together and the pc boots to the slave.

What on earth is going on?

powerless 23:13 10 Dec 03

Go to Start, Run and type:

C:\boot.ini

Click OK.

Do you see:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Just twice?

powerless 23:14 10 Dec 03

Sorry, once.

Logov 23:30 10 Dec 03

Thanks for your respone.
The following is what I see in the boot.ini file:[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

powerless 23:39 10 Dec 03

When you reinstalled Windows XP prof you did not have your second hard drive connected up. This would make XP not see the other drive (obviously as its disconnected) and XP would fail to make a Dual boot setup as it can see the only o/s which is itslef.

Do you know how to use the recovery console?

Logov 23:46 10 Dec 03

I see what you're driving at. I've never used the recovery console previously.

powerless 00:21 11 Dec 03

atempt this back up all your important stuff and if it goes horribly wrong you can reinstall but make sure you have the second drive connected up.

Recovery Console:

Ok here we go...

Insert your Windows XP CD into the drive and restart that computer.

Now you have to set the computer to boot from the CD so you will have to change the boot order.

Set it to CD-ROM first. (I think you know this as you reinstalled XP).

Boot from the CD (remember to press any key to comtinue)

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press "R" to repair, and start the Windows Recovery Console.

You should then see:

"Microsoft Windows(R) Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS"

Press 1 and Enter.

You should see: C:\WINDOWS>

Type: bootcfg /rebuild

Now it will scan your drives...

Now you will see: Add Installation to boot List

Just press "Y"

Now you will see: Enter Load Identifier: You can type anything you like and you can change it afterwards so don't worry if you make a mistake with the name.

Now you will see: Enter OS Load Options

Type:/fastdestect

You will now have to do the same for the other installation. Exaclty the same, but name the Load Identifer to something
different this way you know which one is which.

When your finished you should return to C:\WINDOWS>

Type: exit

Press enter...

The computer will restart and you should now make the change, so the computer now boots from the hard drive...

You should now have your OS selection screen, just pick one.

Now if you hav more than two options in the boot list you can remove them. To do this go to:

Start, Run, Type:

C:\boot.ini

Click OK.

Make the change to the names if you want for example:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="ENTER THE NAME YOU WANT IN BETWEEN THESE BRACKETS" /fastdetect

You can do the same for the line below.

Then go, File, Save.

Its very easy, trust me ;-))

Logov 09:23 11 Dec 03

Thanks for that. I'll have a go in a bit.

Logov 11:44 11 Dec 03

Managed to do that ok, hurrah! You're right it was easy. Many thanks!

Found I had more than two options to boot to and tried removing the unwanted as you suggest but am getting the message: "Cannot make changes to boot.ini file"

Also, before this successfull change I did try using System Commander (should have just asked the forum first - hey-ho) Have uninstalled that programme successfully but have been left with an attempt to find it upon boot-up. The same message asks me to choose between "0-3" startup options. Pressing "0" gives me the OS selection screen but how can I get rid of the System Commander search and the "0-3" option? Any ideas?

powerless 20:00 11 Dec 03

Because the file is read only.

Just go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Settings (third one), Edit and make and save the change from there.

I just noticed a mistake about the OS Load Options, it should be:

/fastdetect

and not "/fastdestect".

As for the commander problem, not sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…