Booting Inspiron 6000

biggs28 18:32 08 Oct 07

hey, my inspiron 6000 laptop seems to have died. whenever i try to boot it it jus goes to a black screen and says "No boot sector in internal hard drive. No bootable devices, strike F1 to retry or strike F2 to run setup utility"

i n t e nZ e 18:34 08 Oct 07

Is there a clicking sound coming from the hard drive?

biggs28 18:36 08 Oct 07

umm no clicking no.

skidzy 18:44 08 Oct 07

Sounds like your MBR = Master Boot Record is corrupt.
click here
click here

biggs28 18:46 08 Oct 07

ohh awesome, i'll give that a try :)

biggs28 14:58 14 Oct 07

hmm i get to a point when it says "**CAUTION** This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.

FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems accessing your hard drive do not continue"

should i go ahead with it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:32 14 Oct 07

What have you got to lose?

biggs28 14:28 18 Oct 07

hmm i tryed that and it said "the new master boot record has been successfully written." but when i typed EXIT and it restarted it jus said..."error loading operating system"

argh any other ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:47 18 Oct 07

I meant what have you got to lose documents, photos music etc.

All is not lost

Option 1
couple the HDD to another PC via USB caddy or ide cable adaptor to access your files.

or try a windows repair,
if you have or can borrow a XP CD
OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

biggs28 13:58 19 Oct 07

ohh awesome..so if i do this, dus that mean i lose all my files tho? i mean, everything is on there music, documents, pics, vids etc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:38 19 Oct 07

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac