Booting from HDD

I have a old laptop with a removable Floppy drive and CD ROM, which run out of the same bay, so the machine can't take them both at the same time. I have formatted the HDD. The bios won't allow me to boot from the CD ROM, & when I boot from the WIN98 boot disk, it doesn't load the CD ROM drivers as there is no CD ROM Present. Can I make the hard drive bootable and load windows from there?
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:14 14 Jan 05

I have an old HP that does the same but the floppy drive can be plugged in with a cable via the parallel port, therefore both drives can be used together.

Insert and boot from floppy at c:\ propmt type copy a:\*.* c:
This should copy contents of floppy to hard drive.

reboot with cd drive in and see if it loads drivers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:16 14 Jan 05

Sorry that should read a:\ prompt.

Maybe

copy sys c:

will copy system file to c drive and make the drive bootable but of course the drivers are still on the floppy

No it didn't help - I just get invalid system disk ....

FelixTCat 16:19 14 Jan 05

Put the floppy drive in with the windows boot drive in it. Boot the computer so that it boots from the floppy.

Type: sys c:

That will transfer te system files to the hard disk to make it bootable.

The type: copy *.* c: /s

That will copy all the other files from the floppy to the hard disk. Take out the disk from the floppy drive and reboot. It should now boot from the hard disk and, hopefully, ask if you want to include CD drivers.

Even if it doesn't ask, shut down and put the CD drive in the machine and reboot. You should now be able to access the CD. If you can't, please come back, as you will have to edit config.sys and autoexec.bat to load the cd driver.

ACOLYTE 16:23 14 Jan 05

click here this help?

Thanks
Worked great!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced