Booting from external USB CD DVD Drive

Parklife 11:06 30 Jan 04

Ok so never managed to get hold of an internal CDRW DVD for my lap top so bought an external USB device. Problem is it won't recognise it as a master boot up device as the drivers don't load till windows has loaded. Can I make it be found in the bios as am worried if problems occur I will never be able to boot this PC from a start up disc as have no boot up drive. I cannot get hold of an internal combi drive from anywhere.

Big Elf 11:31 30 Jan 04

Probably a bit late now but this site does replacements click here or click here

Parklife 11:50 30 Jan 04

Thanks but they can't get one.

Big Elf 12:07 30 Jan 04

I've been trying to google down an article I found a couple of months ago about how to make a laptop hard drive fit. Unfortunately I can't find it but it mentioned removing the covers and fittings from the old drive and fitting them to a new standard one.

What's the make and model of your laptop.

I think that unless the BIOS has an option to enable USB and have a USB device as a boot device then it can't be done.

I take it the laptop doesn't have a floppy that would allow you to load the drivers on boot?

Parklife 12:15 30 Jan 04

I take it the laptop doesn't have a floppy that would allow you to load the drivers on boot? Good question but yes it does only didn't think of that way. Being a combi drive it is only fitted by one screw located under the keyboard then slotted in and out. There is then a multi plug fixed to the board which the drive socket slots in to so you can't use any different internal type. Can you run me through putting the drivers I require onto floppy? Cheers

Big Elf 12:23 30 Jan 04

I know how to do it for a normal CD but not a USB one. Maybe you could copy the drivers supplied with the CD onto a boot disk?

What operating system do you have?

click here not only have boot disks but also links to various drivers as well.

Big Elf 12:31 30 Jan 04

This manufacturer has a Q&A click here suggesting that a BIOS upgrade from the maufacturer will enable you to boot from CD. There is also a link to a DOS driver that might be useful.

Big Elf 12:33 30 Jan 04

Sorry I meant to say 'might enable' instead of 'will enable'

Parklife 12:37 30 Jan 04

just thought, if I download the six windows XP boot floppys from Microsoft this will give me access to my USB CD drive. I can then use my XP recovery disc. Am I correct in thinking this?

jimv7 12:52 30 Jan 04

If there is an option in the bios to boot from scsi, its worth a try, this has worked for usb on some computers depending on the age of the motherboard.

Big Elf 13:48 30 Jan 04

When booting from the 6 floppies I believe there is an option early on to pause and load other drivers (I think for SCSI drives). However I don't know whether this includes USB drivers. I'll try and find out unless anyone else knows or has actually done it.

Who is the manufacturer of the USB drive? Their F&Qs may help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…