Booting from an external HDD

ykzn 08:22 20 Apr 07

Hi all!

I've got a WD Passport Portable 2.5 inch USB 2.0 External HDD from my father.

The capacity is 160GB.

I have many uses for it but amongst them I am mostly interested in one thing: I want to use it as a boot disk!

So, I looked up at WD official website about this. They say that they do not suggest or encourage doing this although it may be possible.

Now, what I really need to know is "Can I really boot from this external HDD?" If yes, "How can I install an OS (XP or Vista) to this drive?"

Ok, all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

€dstowe 08:33 20 Apr 07

You require a motherboard with its own (legacy) USB drivers. You then need to adjust the boot order in the BIOS to boot from USB (unlikely you will be able to do this).

Why not dual boot from your "C" drive - a lot less trouble if you want more than one operating system.

I've found dual booting a waste of time. On systems I've had with two operating systems on, I've always found that one O/S is consistently used with the other just taking up disk space and never used.

ykzn 08:37 20 Apr 07

ok, I looked up and found that I can rearrange the boot device order.

Now, how do I continue to install OS on my ext. HDD?

MAJ 09:33 20 Apr 07

Try this if you wish to go ahead. click here

Quiet Life 17:50 20 Apr 07

"Windows does not allow the system volume to reside in an external disk (by Microsoft's deliberate design). Therefore, if your computer can accommodate only one internal disk (as with most laptop computers), your options in testing are limited. On the other hand, if you can attach the cloned (Target) volume as an additional internal disk without removing the original (Source) volume, you should connect the disk directly to the computer as an internal disk even if you are currently accessing the Target volume as an external (USB) disk (by removing the bare disk from the enclosure)."
This is from XXclone .I cloned my C drive to an external USB drive and made it bootable. It went through the motions but opted out at the first XP screen and then booted from C drive.
With the price of hard drives it looks like a second drive is the answer for me as suggested work around seems somwhat complicated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…