Booting from 2 HDDs?

ams4127 19:49 13 Feb 03

This weekend I am going to install a second HDD.

Both disks will be set to 'Cable select' and both disks are the same size (60GB).

I intend to install XP on the second disk - the original is starting to cause problems.

Is it possible to make both disks bootable and to choose which to use on startup?

Many thanks in advance.

Lú-tzé 19:56 13 Feb 03

Maybe, but better to install the second as a slave and then install XP and allow it to set up its own boot sector on the first hdd and it will give you the option of which OS to use when you start up.

ams4127 20:01 13 Feb 03

Thanks Lú-tzé for your quick reply.

My understanding is that with both disks set to 'Cable Select', the first one on the cable automatically becomes the master and the second becomes the slave.

If I then install XP on the second disk, will it recognise the first disk - also running XP - and give me a boot option?

ams4127 20:02 13 Feb 03

I've got to go now, programme about the SR71 on TV!

I'll be back later.

cream. 20:20 13 Feb 03

To set up your duel boot install your second drive and format it.

Then just insert the windows X\P disk when windows is fully loaded. Pick the full installation method. It will ask you later which drive you want to put it on, pick the new one.

When every thing is fully loaded and it reboots it will give you an option to pick which operating system you want to boot from. It gives you 30 seconds to choose I think. X\P is the default setting.

ams4127 22:05 13 Feb 03

Your kind answer confirms what I had thought. I'll proceed along those lines over the weekend.

Thanks again for your help.

Elrond 22:13 13 Feb 03

would you let us know how you go on. I am thinking of doing the same thing and want ot know if it fully works. Thanks

fullywired23 22:16 13 Feb 03

I asked this question some months ago and the responses I got said it was'nt possible.So I ask again .Is it possible or not?

Dave Bowman 22:31 13 Feb 03

I'm interested in this topic so I'll post to add it to 'My Postings' for reference.

Lú-tzé 22:41 13 Feb 03

I am still wondering about having the two set up via "cable select" and will be interested to hear how it all goes.

Obviously no problem with two operating systems on two separate disks but I would like to know more about the use of cable select - it would suggest that either hdd could be removed and the pc would boot via the other.

eccomputers 23:27 13 Feb 03

most motherboards that I've connected hdd's to with cable select dont even see them in the bios.
I thought there was a problem where cable select wasnt as fast as master or slave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…