Bootable DOS CD??

skythepig 12:47 26 Feb 03

Thinking of replacing my trusty old PIII 850 with a new faster machine and have been looking at the XPC Shuttle or Cubit form factors. Some of these no longer have provision for a FDD. Can you get away without one? For example what happens when you need to flash the BIOS or run FDISK for a new HDD etc?. On my old PC have tried to create a DOS bootable CD by copying the contents of a bootable FDD to a CD and then setting the BIOS to boot from CD/correct drive letter first, but this does not work. It just boots as normal into XP. How do I create a bootable CD?

powerless 13:01 26 Feb 03

Windows XP takes care of the formatting from the CD.

The Win XP CD is bootable.

Floppy drive - If you really need one you can buy an external one.

Paranoid Android 13:29 26 Feb 03

Unfortunately DOS does not support CD Drives without loading drivers - and you can't load the drivers from the CD.

Many modern BIOS flashes work in windows and, as Powerless correctly said, you can use a bootable windows CD if you need to reformat.

The only time I use my floppy drive (with XP) is to run a boot disk for Norton Ghost 7 and I have to admit that doing without this could be tricky.

Marvin.

jazzypop 14:34 26 Feb 03

To create a bootable floppy in XP - click here

To create a bootable CD - click here

You can also boot to a DOS-like interface if you boot with the XP CD in place and then use the Recovery Console.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…