Boot up without POST screen display

Tigertops 15:00 17 Nov 07

Hi,

My desktop has taken to booting up without the usual POST display, simply a black screen until I get to the Windows XP 'welcome' screen. No other problems and it seems to have started since I linked it to my new energy saving Intellipanel. I am still a/w an explanation from the Intellipanel manufacturer but they seem baffled so far.

I am always wary about the 'F' Keys but this loss may make booting in safe mode less easy if I ever need to do that as I can't see the usual key prompts Anyone any suggestions to bring my POST screen back?

Technotiger 15:52 17 Nov 07

Only guessing, but it looks as if this is Intellipanel 'saving' you energy! I would also guess that your F keys will work as normal, as everything else does.

Technotiger 15:59 17 Nov 07

Though, personally I think I save more energy than Intellipanel - I only switch my printer and scanner on when I want to use them, whereas Intellipanel switches everything on when you boot up so unless you then switched the peripherals off manually, you would be wasting energy, not saving it!

skidzy 16:01 17 Nov 07

Just a bit of a guess here,

Try;

Start / run and type MSCONFIG and enter.
Under general,check Normal Startup is ticked and not selective startup.
Also check the Boot ini.
Is anything ticked here ?

Tigertops 16:03 17 Nov 07

Point taken and usually 3 or so of the 6 peripherals are 'off' but the Intellipanel is a good idea for those who are a bit errant about switching things off and on. I would still like to know where my POST screens have gone-just out of interest as much as anything

Tigertops 16:22 17 Nov 07

Spot on! I'm impressed with your guesswork--(do you do winning lottery numbers by any chance!?) The start up was on selective istead of normal but I have no idea why it changed. That's PC's for you!
Your help much appreciated

skidzy 18:20 17 Nov 07

Your welcome Tigertops,glad to be of help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…