Boot from WinXP Pro CDROM

Amalric I 10:46 30 Sep 04

All kinds of trouble this morning. Apparently the whole SYSTEM folder got lost. XP suggests I boot from CD and give it an "r". Changed the boot order in setup to boot from CD before HD [floppy is still first, but should bypass as it is not there]. Apparently it still goes on to HD and there is no chance to give it an "r". I got this far by reverting to last known good config (I think). I would still like to do the repair thing. but how.

howard60 11:32 30 Sep 04

make cd first boot device - disable floppy if not installed you could even try disabling hdd until you have booted from cd. Make sure you save settings in bios or it does not alter. With the repair you will be asked for the administrator password.

Amalric I 10:29 01 Oct 04

I tried again without changing the boot order and it worked. I think. At least I got the message "Press any key to boot from CDROM", I did and got into Windows setup. I chose "R" to repair and it asked for Administrator password. I pressed return as I use null as password. This threw me into DOS with no way as far as I can see to repair the Windows installation.

I decided to reinstall Windows in another partition and got a rather garbled set of instructions and responses and wound up not knowing whether I overwrote my original installation or what. Anyway it worked. Then I decided to chase down the message on boot that intersvc.exe couldn't be found. This turned out to be worm that was trying to install itself. Ran an antivirus scan and removed the worm.

This morning the whole sequence began again. The System folder is missing and the worm is back. I still do not know how to invoke the Repair option after booting from the CDROM.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:36 01 Oct 04

Your running XP ok at moment?

To repair type

sfc/ scannow (note space after / )

in 'run box' XP will scan and replace missing / corrupt system files may prompt for XP CD in drive. (takes a while go make a cup of tea while its repairing)

To get rid of worm switch off system restore this will lose all restore points to date (this is where the worm is hiding and why it comes back). Run your AV software to get rid of worm then switch restore back on and set a new restore point.

Good luck

anchor 16:40 01 Oct 04

This may prove of help from Sophos; read the recovery section.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…