boot windows from Cd

greenlamp 21:38 11 Jun 03

Does anyone know if its possible to make a bootable backup of windows. i.e. so as to be able to start and use windows from the cd drive in the event of problems with the operating system on the hard drive.

Gman 22:50 11 Jun 03

If you have the original Windows CD you can boot from it but you will need to go into your BIOS and change the boot order so the CD rom is first rather than your floppy as is the normal.

greenlamp 23:21 11 Jun 03

The reason for the question is that following recent windows/hard disk problems I was unable to bootup windows, Use of a rescue floppy disk or booting up using the windows installation CD gave very limited access -no CD writer etc- so what I'm actually after is to create a bootable windows mirror on CD to enable access to these facilities.

woodchip 23:31 11 Jun 03

What would be the point you still need to restore the Hard Drive Windows system

greenlamp 23:43 11 Jun 03

Data recovery.
2 daughters, university work, files too large to go on a floppy.
Needless to say the last time I had a problem they had deadlines that had to be met. Because the work had been quite intensive there was a significant ammount that hadn't been on the last regular CD data backup.

woodchip 23:55 11 Jun 03

I do not think you could fit the Operating System on a CD and Run it. Your best bet is get a CDRW and Drive Image so you can do regular backup of the entire drive onto CD's click here

DieSse 23:56 11 Jun 03

I don't think this is feasible - standard Windows needs reading AND writing access to many files, so a read-only device is not suitable.

greenlamp 00:02 12 Jun 03

Ah well it was just an idle thought, thanks to all anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…