Boot Up in Win XP Pro

Dekka123 09:58 08 Aug 06

Specs: AMD Athlon 2800+ 1 GB Ram Win XP Pro SP2
I did a repair on my computer and it went well. However when I tried to boot the machine the bios details came up and the it hung. I could not get to set up because the option was not on the screen. There were no error messages and I let it hang for about half an hour and then it finished booting. Windows is running freat (when I can get into them). Could anyone advise on probable cause. Thanks in advance

johndrew 11:27 08 Aug 06

What repair, software or component?

Have you re-booted since the one you mention, if so was it the same?

Have you pressed `Delete` on switch on to get into BIOS? If so did you reset the configuration to default?

Dekka123 11:50 08 Aug 06

johndrew, thanks for your reply. It was a Windows repair and I did it because I was havinng a few niggles which it has cured. I have rebooted several times since and it has taken between Half and one hour to get into Windows. When I switch on it does not get as far as the set up so I am unable to do anything but wait. To get into the bios I have to sit in front of the comp until it starts to progress. I wouldnt mind doing that but what do I look for and do when I get there. I am not very confident when it comes to the bios. Any suggesions would be very welcome

johndrew 16:35 08 Aug 06

I am not the worlds expert on BIOS and Windows either, but if you did an XP repair with the disk you shouldn`t be having problems unless you`ve change something.

It sounds to my small amount of experience as if you have either one program, or a number of programs starting up with Windows. Have you looked at what is starting and tried stopping them? You can do this by going to your Start Menu and remove the icons. I should try this before playing with the BIOS.

Have a look click here or click here or forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=593048&SiteID=2 you may have to cut and paste the last one into your browser. There are also some postings on these forums.

Out of interest it`s not you anti-virus slowing you down? I believe Norton has had some flack from people on this subject?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now