Boot to welcome screen

Scubaman 22:19 PM 13 Jul 11

Hi guys, I posted a problem regarding slow start-up recently and did as suggested and ran cc cleaner and reduced the start-up programs to McAfee. I tried starting on three occasions with no problems. Well.... I rebooted after a shut down period of 3 hours and the log-on password screen appeared and when I entered the password and pressed return the welcome screen came on and stayed there with the little circle rotating... for 2.5 hours... I then pressed ctrl+alt+del and then clicked on cancel and it immediately boots. I have tried this three times with the same results. The laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6400, is running Vista home premium. Any ideas?

northumbria61 23:29 PM 13 Jul 11

Download and Run Ultra Defragmenter from here link text It's FREE.

Scubaman 14:39 PM 14 Jul 11

I ran the Ultra Defrag and also the Uniblue registry booster, which fixed 259 faults!! First try booted in just over a minute, second try booted in under a minute, went straight to desktop, no password, and third time I had to Ctrl Alt Del after 20 minutes. Is this a Vista thing, never had probs like this with any other windows OS.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:45 PM 14 Jul 11

A lot of registry boosters / cleaners can cause more trouble that they cure.

Try a repair of VISTA:

In the Search box type

sfc /scannow

Vista will scan for and replace missing corrupt windows files, can take sometime to complete.

northumbria61 16:03 PM 14 Jul 11

I agree with Fruit Bat on Registry boosters/cleaners - that's why I didn't recommend one and especially Uniblue as it has had a lot of negative reviews on here.

I suggested the defrag as this is something a lot of people forget to do unless you have a program specially designed for this purpose ie: Diskeeper or O & O Defrag which run automatically in the"background"

It appears that although you initially saw some improvement there may be other problems and I am hoping that a "repair of Vista" as suggested by Fruit Bat solves things for you.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…