Boot UpOrder

Peter-200561 15:31 20 Feb 05

After some major problems which i hope have been corrected via the recovery console, i am unable to boot up except by the CD installation. I cannot change the BIOS settings. In the Advanced settings the first boot up device is the CD Rom, how do i change it to hard drive.( i assume thats the problem) The arrow keys do not highlight any settings in RED except for the standard CMOS settings.

Any ideas

Windows XP P4

Jeffers22 15:52 20 Feb 05

You may have to reset the hard drive recognition on the first page of the bios - to Auto detect or similar. Usually if you don't get an option to boot from HDD the HDD is not being recognised for some reason. Had a similar thing hereonly yesterday when I put everything into a new case and booted up only to find I had *blush* forgotten to connect the power to the HDD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 20 Feb 05

leave first boot device at CD second at floppy third at ide(0) or (1) depending which drive and ide cable your op system is on (defaults to ide0 if windows on c:\ master)

Bios will ignore CD and floppy if no boot CD or floppy in drives (this is useful if boot fails later)

Do you see message looking for boot Ide... on POST screen at bottom?

Check HDD IDE cables plug in secure on drives and motherboard. and power plug

Peter-200561 17:34 20 Feb 05

Guys,
IDE Primary master on AUTO (HDD details on actual disk are correct so its reconized i suppose)
next page-IDE Auto Detection- press Enter
If i press enter nothing happens.
Load Fail Safe/optimized options cannot be accessed.

Post Screen
Command-Boot From CD:
Eventually get message,"Disk Boot Failure. Insert System Disk
Enter

Does this give you any more ideas?
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…