boot up time 5 mins - win me

jstaunton 17:30 29 Aug 03

i have just read a thread that states boot up time 24sec. i am putting up with 5 mins. system is 4 years old compaq presario5471 running (walking) win me. it frequently freezes and sometimes i can drink a cup of tea while it thinks.
i am always doing surface scans and defrags via bootup disk (it seems to find things wrong all the time, files truncated,) it automatically fixes , i defrag and then do it all again 2 weeks later.
should i scrap the whole thing and buy a new one.
i run a small business from home on machine.
help me please
what is bootvis?

leo49 17:50 29 Aug 03

Have you ever done a fresh install since you had the machine? If not, sounds like it wouldn't be a bad idea.Believe bootvis is an MS tool for faster startup for XP.

Regards

Djohn 17:51 29 Aug 03

What is the size/speed of your CPU, [Processor], and how much memory do you have? It may just need a format and clean install of programs. This will take it back to, "as new condition" and may be fast enough for your needs. j.

jstaunton 18:21 29 Aug 03

500 megahert - 32 k primary and 128 secondary , does that make sense - 2.69gb free.
is that right its all double to me. i do have a format disk, but i have so much work on here i'm not sure how to copy everything

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…