On boot up, tells me can not log in

mufti 20:50 10 Sep 04

Evening everyone. when i boot up a message appears telling me it could not log me in, on clicking this my log on logo appears for me to click. --2problems-- 1 can this be reset to boot automatically 2 the message telling me it could not log me in, is now covered by full screen telling me that windows is starting up, and the only way to show the message is to press ctrl-alt esc. which is all very frustrating when all we want to do is get on the computer. hope you can help, if my explanation is understandable. thanks from mufti.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:35 10 Sep 04

What operating system, 2000 pro?

What machine dell gateway medion?

and yes the explanation is a little confusing. does this message appear immediately after POST.

hugh-265156 22:55 10 Sep 04

not sure sorry. the exact error displayed and your operating system may help if you can give us that info but in the mean time check and see if can you boot into safe mode? (keep tapping F8 as soon as you switch on and select it when the list pops up)

can you select your account from here and does it load the desktop? if so then its maybe something starting with windows that could be the culpret. try this: click 'start/run' and type 'msconfig' click ok. next click the 'start up' tab, make a note of everything that is ticked here and untick it all except your antivirus and firewall and restart the computer. does it get to the desktop now? if so go back to msconfig and put one tick back at a time and restart untill you find the thing thats causing it maybe.

if safe mode works but unticking things in msconfig doesnt help when windows starts normally then im really not sure but i would maybe then try starting the computer up in safe mode again and logging on as 'administrator' this time then deleting your old account and making a new account maybe.

in user accounts in xp if you choose 'change the way users log on off' and untick 'use welcome screen' and select no password it should log you on automatically and boot to the desktop if you are the only user.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…