boot stalling

David-285813 19:45 25 Feb 03

I have recently had a problem with my power supply unit being damaged, possibly by a short somewhere. This has been fixed, yet now I have a boot up problem. The first screens go OK but then the whole process stalls with the CD-ROM and HD lights both on. Even turning off the power and trying again seems to have no effect and only disconnecting all the leads from the back of the PC allowed it to start again and boot normally. It hasn't happened every time, just every other, or so it seems! I rang the guy in the shop who fixed the PSU and he seemed to think it could be a driver/windows problem. I have no idea how to check this out. I am running ME, and up until last week have had no problems at all.
Any advice/hints appreciated!

jazzypop 21:02 25 Feb 03

The only sensible way to eliminate the PSU as a possible cause is to swap it out for a known good one.

As the shop has repaired your existing PSU, but you still have problems, it seems perfectly reasonable to me to go back to the shop and ask them to do this (temporarily).

At least then you know whether you are dealing with a gardware or software issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…