Boot Sector Virus won't respond to AVG

RobbieRoberts 15:49 27 Feb 03

My computer a PCS Direct AGP 1002B Home & Office P266-2, Running Windows 98 Plus, has been "struck down" with a boot virus. I first found out about it when the computer failed to boot up and on running my Ontrack "Fix-It" Rescue Disc the following popped up:- "Trend Chipaway Virus has detected a boot virus on your hard disk!" .... Then followed the instructions - "Press Enter> for more information (recommended) C> to continue booting .... then ... "Complete Virus Protection for the Enterprise" Trend Micro - click here. My wife obtained two floppies from her work with up-to-date AVG Antivirus software BUT they/it FAILED TO FIND THE VIRUS! Any help would be very much appreciated! I am using her Vaio PCG-F801 to send this SOS!

woodchip 15:53 27 Feb 03

Start with startup floppy disc, at A:\ type FDISK/MBR press enter you should not see anything happen but start your comp and see if it's still there

RobbieRoberts 16:06 01 Mar 03

Hi Woodchip,
Sorry to take so long replying to your sugestion - BUT is this safe? Surely FDISK formats the WHOLE drive, or does "/MBR" confine it to the boot sector?
Some people seem to think that it is rather dangerous to use FDISK, unless you know what you are doing.
Many thanks.

DieSse 17:08 01 Mar 03

fdisk /mbr only rewrites a section of the master boot record. It's in this section, though, that viruses usually lurk. It's pretty safe to run this commend.

However, you might like to think about getting AV protection that can find boot sector viruses.

Try the free (for 25 days) version at click here

woodchip 21:30 01 Mar 03

It will not damage your windows setup if you run what I told you

RobbieRoberts 16:33 04 Mar 03

Hi woodchip & DieSse,
I have at long last plucked up the courage to try FDISK/MBR, BUT it doesn't seem to work, in spite of trying it no less than FIVE times!
The computer still boots up into the Windows 98 Start Up screen with "Safe Mode" as option 3.
Sometimes it runs to:
"While initializing Device TABLET: (or) IOS:
Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer."
At other times it runs up to the "Windows 98+" then crashes with a sort of "growl"from the internal speaker.
When I tried the "Ontrack" rescue disc and ran the disc checker it stopped with the Trend Chipaway Virus message as reported in my original posting.
Any further help much appreciated,
Bertie

woodchip 16:43 04 Mar 03

The only thing I can think of is to FDISK and reformat and reinstall, then get a virus checker that protects your memory and boot sector Plus cmos

woodchip 16:44 04 Mar 03

PS it will wipe the partition info then and it should be gone

dth 16:52 04 Mar 03

I think it is fdisk /mbr (note the space)

and not fdis/mbr

woodchip 16:57 04 Mar 03

space does not matter in win98

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…