Boot Sector Virus - and no command prompt

First Bass 20:52 11 Feb 05

HI there. (Sorry, my mouse hand slipped and this went to the Consumer forum instead)....My friend's 40GB 512MB Ram PC runs W98 and has a "Trend Chipaway Guard" notification that he has a boot sector virus. His PC Applications Freeze, don't start, or grind to a halt, and the DD web connection fails all the time. AVG scans the boot record but reports no problem. Other forum postings on this subject have been really useful, suggesting using a Windows recovery disk and running fdisk/mbr. Unfortunately he cannot locate a command prompt, and if he goes via My Computer, this fails to find the fdsik file on W98 recovery floppy, or on the W98 CD. Is the only option left to him a reformat of the Hard Disk? Many thanks.

gudgulf 21:02 11 Feb 05

You will need to boot the pc from the 98 recovery floppy and enter the commands at the A> prompt.

First Bass 21:13 11 Feb 05

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately his PC goes through its boot up sequence - complete with the boot sector virus warning - and then does not read the w98 recovery floppy disk in the drive, going straight through to the desktop, where everything slows down or fails to start. Furthermore no MSDOS command prompt can then be located to read drive a. (It has vanished as an option from accessories\system tools).

VoG II 21:21 11 Feb 05

You need to get into the BIOS click here and set the floppy drive as the first boot device. This will be under the Boot or Startup heading.

First Bass 00:14 12 Feb 05

Thanks VoG. We tried amending the boot order to have the floppy A drive boot first; the drive light came on OK, but the boot process continued to no avail. There's just a chance that the recovery disk is no good, but that's only a remote possibility, and anyway, shouldn't the boot process have stopped with an A drive error message?

THE TERMINATOR 01:43 12 Feb 05

Try this,click here put it on a floppy and boot up....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…