Boot up and Scandisk

pj123 13:21 01 Nov 05

Just had a call from someone who has a 3 year old computer, AMD Athlon 2000, 512mb ram, 40gb hard drive C: running Windows 98SE and a 60gb hard drive for storage.

Been running fine until a few days ago.

Now everytime he boots he gets a message (something along these lines) "One or more disks may have developed bad sectors press any key to run Scandisk." He hits the Enter key and gets another message: "Error in running Scandisk Exe etc.... press any key to continue."

Again press Enter and the computer boots to Windows as normal and works OK.

If he runs Scandisk from within windows it finds No Errors. I have tried talking him through a few things (including scanreg /restore and sfc) but nothing seems to correct it.

Any suggestions please?

ACOLYTE 13:31 01 Nov 05

Do we know what disk scandisk is meaning the OS disk or the storage disk?,and does he run Scandisk on both drives from within windows,i assume he has done a virus scan,as scandisk .exe can get comprimised with some viruses.He may also try doing a defrag,if the drive does have errors it wont run and he should get a message to run scandisk to sort it.It also may be that a hard disk is becoming faulty,scandisk doesnt usually say the drive has bad sectors until its used all the spare sectors on the drive to move the info about.It may also be an idea to check the hard drive makers site as they can have diagnostic tools that will check the drive for him.

HTH

pj123 13:49 01 Nov 05

"Do we know what disk scandisk is meaning the OS disk or the storage disk?" Well, no not really as it says "One or more disks may have ....."

He has AVG, Spybot, Adaware, Sypwareblaster and Zonealarm running. All up to date and run regularly. He also has Norton Utilities 2003 but only uses the "one button checkup" to check and fix any problems and "speed disk" to defrag both hard drives - again on a regular basis. I have arranged to visit him on Thursday 3rd Nov to see if I can find something he hasn't mentioned.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:08 01 Nov 05

Toggle F8 ( when , verifying DMI pool message comes on ) or Press Ctrl during bootup , depends on your computer , choose Command prompt only ( NOT Safe mode Command prompt ), then at the C: prompt , type Scandisk /Surface & press Enter .

When finished , type win & press Enter .

It should not then request to redo scandisk on the next boot provided the PC is shut down properly.

pj123 20:19 02 Nov 05

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\. Seeing him tomorrow. Will give that a try and report back.

pj123 17:38 05 Nov 05

Fruit Bat /\0/\, surface scan will take ages. We didn't have time to do that on Thursday. I have left it with him to do overnight sometime in the next week. See him again next Thursday 10th.

mgmcc 17:47 05 Nov 05

These are the instructions for solving the problem with XP, but I don't know to what extent you can adapt them for 98SE

Chkdsk running on every boot.

What you're experiencing is what Windows refers to as "setting the dirty bit" and you have to unset that bit. Each time Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes and check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-write operation on that particular drive.

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run" type CMD and click OK). At the prompt, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and press Enter. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has loaded, open a Command Prompt window again and perform a Chkdsk manually by typing CHKDSK /F /R C: This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and Windows should confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

pj123 14:48 03 Jan 06

This one also has been resolved. The computer was re-formatted and everything re-installed.

Ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…