Boot & Scan disc problems

6 Months ago I bought a new PC and intended to use my 3 year old reliable P2 celeron running Win 95 as a backup. For one reason or another it was unplugged for 5 months and now will not boot. It will not boot at all from the A drive, and when I try booting from the C prompt it wants to run scan disc. When it gets to the Directory Structure it identifies about half a dozen fairly innocuous files that it needs to fix. It fixes them then starts to carry out a surface scan.
This shows 2 bad clusters, and it is not able to scan past them, returning the message ‘Scan disc will need to be run from the start again’ – it then identifies the same files to fix again etc, etc. (The scan takes hours by the way) It seems unlikely that my HD, which had always been problem free, should be caput just because it was not connected to a power source for 5 months. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated, as I have a lot of good software on the old PC that is not compatible with XP on the new one.

vinnyT 12:14 06 Jun 03

Try cancelling the scan before it gets to the bad cluster stage, then it may boot as normal.

It's poss. that the hd may have been affected by atmospheric conditions (moisture, etc) while disconnected, esp if stored in a cold/damp room.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…