Boot up process stalls, requires reset button

folaboss 16:22 22 Jun 04

I'm using an Evesham PC with 1200 Athlon MHz processor, 512MB RAM and Windows ME. Sometimes the boot up process stalls part way down the first black and white screen at the line "Detecting Primary Master", sometimes (but not always)slowly moving on to the second line "Detecting Primary Slave". Then I get "Disc Boot Failure, Insert System Disc and press enter" where the words "Now preparing to start your new computer" normally appears. So I press the reset button and it boots up OK. Normally the boot up whizzes past these 4 lines "Detecting...." so fast that you can't even read them but when the first line sticks it also says "Press F4 to skip", sometimes moving on to second line before failing. I get the impression that part of the system is slow to come to life because if I hear something starting to spin before reaching this critical stage, then it boots up OK. I read of a similar problem in PC Advisor's Help page some time ago but cannot remember the explanation given.

PSF 16:27 22 Jun 04

It looks like your hard drive is dying.
It might be an idea to get another one and transfer everything before it completely dies.

PSF 16:32 22 Jun 04

click here for a basic guide to installing a hard drive.

With most hard drives you can get a program from the manufacturer which will copy all the system over to the new drive. It will then allow you to make the new one the main boot drive.

Rayuk 18:16 22 Jun 04

You can also use the manufacturers software to check the drive if its on its way out it should give you an error code.

How long have you had the pc the hard drive may still be in warranty,as until recently hard drives usually came with 3 years waranty.

folaboss 19:50 22 Jun 04

Guess - 3 years 4 months. I don't mind paying for a new drive so long as my files are all saved before it dies. Finding a reputable dealer locally might be the problem though. I wanted to take it to Evesham first thing in a morning by appointment and collect it later in the day but they don't want to know. Must send it by courier which I'm unhappy about. Buying my next PC from Evesham is now questionable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…