Boot probs

Blake 20:01 05 Feb 04

Hi
a friend's PC on boot up gives the error message - "Explorer has caused an error in BROWSEUI.DLL Explorer will now close. If you continue to experience problems try restarting the computer".
Which on restart gives the same message.
The last thing he did was download IE6 from MS website. He's running Windows ME. I've suggested he tries to start in safe mode, but gets do far then message reoccurs.
Any of you guys got any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation Blake

The Nuclear Boy Scout 20:11 05 Feb 04

Try resetting your web settings by:

Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Programs Tab> Click the 'Reset Web Settings' Button.

The Nuclear Boy Scout 20:15 05 Feb 04

Actually, don't do that, try this instead:

1. Restart your computer using the Windows Me emergency startup disk.
2. Use the arrow key on your keyboard to select Start Computer Without CD-ROM Support, and then press ENTER.
3. At the prompt type scanreg /fix, and then press ENTER.
4. After the ScanReg process is complete, restart your computer.

Blake 21:12 05 Feb 04

Thanks Nuclear - only problem is he was given the PC recently and.... (bet you can guess what's coming)...hasn't got an emergency disk!

The Nuclear Boy Scout 21:28 05 Feb 04

You could download this - it is the boot disk for Windows ME with CD-ROM support (I can't find one without at the moment, but it may work just the same:

click here

If I see anything else, I'll post it.

Hope it helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…