Boot problems/Virus

reborn 08:09 17 Jul 05

Hi folks,A friend has given me his pc to sort,his problem is it will not complete the boot sequence,it gets as far as the black screen with the windows xp logo,the progress bar flash's across the screen a couple of times then the whole sequence starts again.Could I slave the Hdd to my pc and scan for virus's.(By the way he is one of the few people I know that keeps his various malware programs up to date and uses them regular.)Cannot get into safe mode etc so before resorting to format and reinstall, am open to all suggestions.OS is XP OEM.

VoG II 08:47 17 Jul 05

The chances are that this is not a virus but the Kernel32.dll file is missing or damaged. click here

reborn 09:07 17 Jul 05

started to follow the instuction on the site you pointed me to and cannot get past the first line,iv'e got on screen "the path or file specified is not valid".A trifle confused.

VoG II 09:10 17 Jul 05

Sorry, which line?

reborn 09:11 17 Jul 05

cd system32

VoG II 09:15 17 Jul 05

Type

cd c:\windows\system32

reborn 09:19 17 Jul 05

same message as before

VoG II 09:23 17 Jul 05

What does it say in front of the >

e.g.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Default>

reborn 09:30 17 Jul 05

it says/microsoft windows xp(tm) recovery console
the recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
type exit etc etc
I have not got C:\documents and setting\default

VoG II 09:35 17 Jul 05

Does it say 'Which Windows installation do you want to log onto'?

If so type 1 then press Enter. You may then be prompted for the Administrator password.

reborn 09:37 17 Jul 05

no

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…