Boot problems since new printer

Pineman100 14:38 29 Mar 07

I run XP SP2 Home. Last week I bought a new multifunction printer - an HP C4180.

When I first installed the printer software, I had considerable problems. The installation wizard reaches a point where it instructs you to plug in the USB lead, and every time I did this, the installation froze. I eventually over came this by bypassing the USB plug-in instruction and allowing the software installation to complete without it. After ompletion of the HP software installation, I then used the Windows "Found New Hardware" wizard to install the printer. This worked.

However, since I installed the printer, I've had intermittent problems with starting the computer. I don't know whether this is related to the above problems or not.

If I switch on the computer with the printer switched off, it always hangs at the Packard Bell splash screen, before Windows starts to boot.

If I start the computer with the printer switched on, it usually boots up OK. However, it occasionally hangs as above.

So far I've always managed to get past the problem after one or two restarts, but it's a flippin' nuisance.

Has anyone got any ideas how to overcome the problem please?

Many thanks.

Technotiger 14:44 29 Mar 07

Hi, what was the state of your hard-drive defrag-wise before installation of the software. When adding anything fairly substantial like a new printer and software, it is always best to make sure your PC is as clean as possible, by running your disk-cleanup functions and making sure hard-drive is fully defragged. If not properly defragged your new software will be scattered all over the hard-drive making for results as you describe.

Technotiger 14:46 29 Mar 07

If my first guess is correct, you should uninstall the printer and software and then start again after doing as I have already suggested.

Pineman100 17:25 29 Mar 07

... I shall remember that advice for the future.

I didn't do any kind of clean-up or defrag before I installed the printer. But I had problems installing it, as described above, so I'm a little nervous about doing it all over again.

Would it be a good plan to install it in Safe Mode? If I clean up and defrag, then install in Safe Mode, do you think I could get a cleaner install?

Technotiger 17:33 29 Mar 07

Hi, it is natural to be nervous, but I don't think it is necessary to use Safe mode in this instance. Just do that bit of preparation as I said earlier.
Let us know how you get on.

Pineman100 18:05 29 Mar 07

OK, thanks. I'll give it a go and report back!

Pineman100 19:18 29 Mar 07

...I ran Disk Cleanup, then got Defrag to analyse my C: drive. It reported that defragmentation was not required.

I presume, therefore, that fragmentation wasn't a problem when I installed the printer.

This being the case, do you think I should delete the printer, then reinstall it in Safe Mode, to be on the safe side?

Many thanks for your continued help.

Pineman100 19:23 29 Mar 07

I've just had a thought! Will my DVD/CD drive work in Safe Mode? I have my doubts...

If not, could I copy its contents to a folder on my hard drive, and run the installation from there?

Technotiger 19:27 29 Mar 07

I have never had to use Safemode, but I think you do get the option to run safemode with or without cd drive support. If that is the case, then it will not do any harm to give it a try.

Technotiger 19:31 29 Mar 07

By the way - I always used to defrag even when the computer said it was not needed. I say used to, because I now keep my hard-drives fully defragged at all times, using iObit SmartDefrag.

Pineman100 10:21 30 Mar 07

OK, that sounds good. I'll defrag anyway, and then try a Safe Mode install.

I think there was an automatic defrag package on a recent PCA cover disk. Is that the one you use? Is it good? If so, I'll hunt through my store of cover disks and find it.

Many thanks again for all your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…