Boot problems - new motherboard

Storik 22:21 22 Feb 06

Recently bought an Asus K8V-X SE motherboard and a Sempron 3400 plus one PC3200 400 memory stick.

The computer will not boot, although there is power to the motherboard and fans work. Nothing on screen at all and no beeps - have tried the following.

Another memory stick - known to be OK (also tried populating both memory slots)
Another Graphics card - known to be OK

The power on button will switch on the computer, but will not switch it off. Have tried reversing the front panel connector - no joy. The only way to switch it off is by the switch to the power supply.

Have reseated Sempron, checked heatsink and fan - which appear to be working correctly.

Have tried booting without Graphics card (no beeps) and with only Graphics card (no joy).

Have no way of checking the CPU or motherboard. (Incidentally all components that were attached were known to be working on another motherboard.)

Suspect either motherboard or CPU at fault, but just in case I have missed anything, does anyone have more suggestions?

Storic

Harpur 22:36 22 Feb 06

if the motherboard doesn't like the ram you will get these symptoms. where did you get the memory from?. a lot of times generic ram is just modules that bigger companies toss to the side for whatever reason. make sure you get a branded stick.

Storik 23:01 22 Feb 06

I got the RAM from the same place as the motherboard and CPU - although I have tried a module from Crucial - with same results.

I did suspect it might be the RAM but the Crucial module worked in another ASUS board.

I am flipping fated with this computer, the first CPU and memory stick went missing in transit (long story but hubby went and signed for two parcels and only received on from the delivery firm. UH!!)

Thanks for the suggestion tho' - much appreciated - will try a couple of other sticks I have.

Storic

ed-0 23:08 22 Feb 06

read about the mix up, did you manage to get it sorted?

Are you using both power connectors on the motherboard. It needs the 20 pin and the 4 pin to be connected.

Clear the cmos with the CLRTC jumper, then put it in the norman 1-2 position.

Storik 23:42 22 Feb 06

I shall try your suggestion - read the manual too, before I started. I only have one power connector to the motherboard - will look for the other and let you know how I get on.

No I didn't get the parcel farce sorted - had to shell out for another CPU and memory chip. - er I'm selling things like PSP's etc to make up the shortfall. :) - too old for anything else. LOL

Storic

ed-0 00:02 23 Feb 06

Shame about the parcel farce fiasco, that has cost you a few bob. I had a do with them over a nice tft with large cracks in it.:-(

Anyway you need to connect both supply's to get the machine to boot. click here. Hopefully it will be something easy to get the system up and running.:-)

Storik 00:10 23 Feb 06

Thanks Ed, connecting the second power connector has cured the on/off switch problem. - Angel first class wings for that suggestion. :)

The beastly thing still won't boot, but I've ordered some compatible memory as Harpur suggested and we'll see how we go from there.

Hope everything is right by Friday, have to have my blood pressure checked again - oh joy!

Thanks to both your and Harpur - will update as soon as things start moving again - er as long as it isn't my blood pressure going any higher. LOL

Storic

gruffass 11:07 23 Feb 06

ive got similar problems, mine wont boot either no beeps no nothing. I tried differnet graphics card & memory but still nothing. Changed psu, that got the power to fans & disk drives but it still wont boot

Storik 16:54 24 Feb 06

The Kingston memory recommended by Asus arrived this morning and is now in the computer. Guess what? We have now the computer up and running - albeit with its old bad habits. :)

So angel first class wings to Harpur, plus a halo of course! :) and also, of course to Ed.

Thanks to you both. :)

Gruffass: I hope this solution helps you with your problem. :)

Storic

ed-0 18:29 24 Feb 06

Superior computer builders award to Storik.

Money off voucher for husband at specsavers;-)

Storik 19:46 24 Feb 06

Now that made me giggle. :) - if there are money-off vouchers, or two for the price of one - I may just persuade "him in prone position". :)

Actually, I'm refraining from saying anything nasty to him - it could have been me and he feels bad about it, although old scroogie aint offered to pay for the second order. :)

Thanks again, :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…