Boot-up problems with Medion External Drive

Newgrove 22:25 12 Feb 04

When I connect (USB 2.0) my switched on Medion 160GB external drive to my WindowsXP computer with Award BIOS v6.0, and then switch on the PC, the BIOS screen freezes during the initial boot-up process. In order to obtain boot-up, I have to switch off the PC, and the Medion drive, and then switch on the PC again. Once Windows XP is up and running, I can then switch on the Medion external drive, and the Drive is recognised by Windows XP.

What do I need to do to get the PC to satisfactorily boot up, when the Medion drive is in a switched on mode, before switching on the PC?

Thanks for any assistance.

Anator11 22:29 12 Feb 04

although only remotely connected, i have problems shutting down my medion laptop when a usb mouse is connected?!? looks like they havent quite got the hang of usb devices hehe.

My only viable suggestion is to enable legacy usb or usb through dos in your bios, that way the drive will be properly recognised in boot up.

Im sure harddrives dont like being switched on without a data connection anyway, but im not so sure on these external devices. Perhaps you could mod the power connection so that it powers up when your pc does? :P

woodchip 22:33 12 Feb 04

The problem I think you are having is that the BIOS is trying to read the external drive. Try going into BIOS and see if it will recognize it by doing a Auto Detect of Hard Drives

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…