BOOT PROBLEMS _ DIAGNOSIS?

zobby 16:12 08 Feb 08

HI All...

Ok. I had a really old comp recenlty (running 2 seperate hard drives) which worked fine until I downloaded something which crashed beyond repair the C:.

I got a new (er) comp from a mate, (a Tiny - 37gb hd) which worked perfect when I got it. I hooked it in, and it was fine.

So i decided to experiment, by temporarily putting my E: from the older comp in to try & retrieve files. I also put in an extra 256mb RAM.

Now....This worked fine. It booted, loaded, and was ok. I accessed my E:, and clicked copy on the files I wanted. I opened my C: and created a new folder.

Once i opened this folder, i clicked paste. As soon as paste was hit, the screen went black, the power indicator on the monitor gave a continuous flash (standby) and nothing worked anymore.

I removed everything, so it was back to the original comp. Still nothing. Once the power button is pushed, my green power indicator comes on, but also this permanent red led light that doesn't switch off is right next to the power switch.

It doesn;t seem like there is any power going to the drives (any). I disconnected the CPU & drives and switched it on, and the red light stays on still - No error messages come on telling me that the CPU or a drive is not connected. , just the same red light.????????????? (The whole time nothin ever appears on the screen - the monitor just flashes like standby - not a word or message - nout)

I am computer trained, and this is something that I have never seen before!!! HELP PLEASE...if someone can help or has seen anything like this it will most appreciated!!!

woodchip 16:17 08 Feb 08

Remove all Drive cables and see if you get anything on screen when you boot

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 08 Feb 08

Fitting extra drive has overloaded the PSU.

lotvic 21:46 08 Feb 08

Have you tried just one ram stick at a time - and in different slots?

Have you done as woodchip said to see if you can boot to display on monitor (no harddrives connected to eliminate them from the equation)

zobby 07:51 11 Feb 08

Hi, cheers for the response.

Yeah i tried removing all drives, still with nothin on the monitor, just the same red light on the front panel.

Did i overload, even if it switched on and I was in the computer before it crashed?

woodchip 19:25 11 Feb 08

The mobo is duff or CPU or both

woodchip 19:26 11 Feb 08

Cheapest thing to try first is a PSU that is known to work ok

zobby 07:14 12 Feb 08

Hi,

Yeah I have tried it with another PSU with the same outcome, just the red light and no power to a drive.

Can the mobo or CPU fry while the comp is running? That could be the problem....

woodchip 10:30 12 Feb 08

The PSU that is in the comp may have blown the Motherboard and CPU it did on one of mine

zobby 12:08 12 Feb 08

So i would prob be best to buy a new mobo and see if that works...?

Did you buy new cpu & mobo?

woodchip 13:33 12 Feb 08

I bout a new Mobo I had a smaller CPU that I fitted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced