Boot problems caused by my ADSL modem

candyphoenixblue 21:11 04 May 05

I have a Sagem [email protected] 800 ADSL modem and my ISP is Tiscali
When I boot up it runs to a point then shuts down the whole system and reboots itself
It then goes through the disk check routine after saying the system has been incorrectly shut down
This procedure is repeated until break the loop
I then boot up with the modem disconnected and the boot performs correctley
I can now connect the modem and it works satisfactorily.
Any answers to this problem please

madPentium 21:26 04 May 05

I had this problem about a year ago. I tried different usb ports and everything. I ended up changing the modem and eh voila, all ok.
I'm not saying your modems faulty, just that the symptoms are identical to the ones I suffered.

Johnnie_M 21:31 04 May 05

Sometimes, on old systems the power consumption for the modem is too much for the motherboard. I had the same problem with an alcatel modem which required a healthy amount, as old motherboards couldn't handle this they would initiate a safety switch and turn off. Try an external USB hub or a new modem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:39 04 May 05

"Try an external USB hub or a new modem"

Must be a powered hub to improve matters.

candyphoenixblue 16:33 11 May 05

A thank you to madPentium Johnnie_M and Fruit Bat
Having now purchased a powered usb hub I am still having the same old boot problems.Am I now down to a last resort a new modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…