Boot problems after installing ZIP as slave to HD

BackSlash 20:58 17 Dec 03

Hello all,

Occasionally, my computer will stop everything its doing and restart. Well, it's done it twice in the last fortnight. It's a brand new PC, but I suspect that I have done something wrong when installing a Zip-100 drive as Primary Slave (to Hard Drive).

Anyway, after spontaneously restarting, The Boot up screen will look something like this:

[i]Pri Master : Not Installed
Pri Slave : Not Installed
Sec Master : CD-DVDRW Matisha
Sec Slave : CD-DVD ROM Matisha

Floppy drive 1 : 3 1/2"
Floppy drive 2 : Not Installed[/i]

As far as I know, it's correct apart from the Primary master & slave are not recognised by the BIOS. So, the machine doesn't start and instead sticks at a screen with "Searching for boot records from Floppy and CD-DVD ROM. Press any key to continue".

Eventually, after tinkering with the BIOS menu a few times (ie selecting auto, restarting, selecting armd, restart, and selecting auto, restart- several times before they are recognised), it starts fine, but I would like to know why it does this so I can prevent it happening again.

Thanks in advance

minter 21:25 17 Dec 03

Don't think you should have your Zip drive on the same link as your HD.

You would be better with Primary master: HD; Primary slave: CD-DVD Rom; Secondary master: CD-DVDrw; Secondary slave: Zip.

Have you got your HD and Zip configured in your BIOS startup setup.

BackSlash 21:34 17 Dec 03

What do you mean by configured? When the computer works ok, in Bios the HD and Zip are both named, as I had them set to auto-configure. Is there a way of doing it manually?

I might try re-arranging the IDE cables tommorrow if I have time.

minter 14:07 18 Dec 03

Bios is ok if set to auto.

Are you connected to EIDE 1 and 2, or are you using another connection, i.e. Raid or SATA.

Also, what is your os? If it's XP try using "System Restore" - take it back to a point before you installed the Zip drive.

BackSlash 16:34 18 Dec 03

Thanks for your help minter, I did what you said earlier

(You would be better with Primary master: HD; Primary slave: CD-DVD Rom; Secondary master: CD-DVDrw; Secondary slave: Zip.)

It's just booted up fine and recognised them first time, so hopefully that's the end of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…