Boot up problems

charynda 12:58 30 Mar 12

Can't boot up friend's PC - was working fine until a week ago, now won't boot.

The PC is home built about 2 years ago. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P with an Intel I7 processor (1366). There are 6 sticks of ram each 6Gb - although the m-board manual shows 24Gb max. I have removed and tried various combinations of ram with no success.

On trying to power up, three of the fans move briefly but do not spin. Also there are 2 lights on the m-board which indicate the state of the DDR memory - one is yellow and the other is green. Accoirding to the manual the normal state should be off.

The m-board lights can only be turned off either by holding the power on button down for several seconds or by switching off the power switch on the rear of the case.

Can you help with this please??

TheOne181 14:31 30 Mar 12

What power supply is in the machine. It might be worth trying another power supply on it, obviously one that is powerful enough to power your friends i7 PC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:13 30 Mar 12

RAM ... the LEDs come on until BIOS completes....at which point they turn off. therefore could be a red herring

As its not completing POST then I suggest you remove everything except

cpu and fan

one stick of RAM

graphics card

and see if it boots to BIOS or error message

charynda 20:06 30 Mar 12

Thanks for the replies.

The power supply is a ATX-12V-2X - can't see a make unless I remove it. I only have a spare atx power supply which is not suitable.

I have tried disconnecting all but cpu, fan, graphics card and 1 stick of ram - no change to original condition.

charynda 23:46 25 Apr 12

I have now resolved the problem - it was the power supply that had failed. I purchased a new unit which solved the problem.

Thanks to the contributors that replied.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…