Boot up problems

Just recently on two separate occasions now when I have switched my computer it seems to lock up, it looks like I have hard drive activity but nothing is displayed on
the monitor and the keyboard is not working. This is rectified however when I have switched off at the mains, I know its not ideal as its best to shut windows but its impossible when you have no monitor or keyboard.

Anyone else experience this?
Is the computer dying?

VoG II 23:04 27 Sep 05

So how do you control this beast. A lot more info required please...

When I first switch on my computer the computer does not boot up at all, the hard drive does not work, no display on the monitor and the keyboard is not even working as the LED's do not work when you press caps lock for instance. It seems I need to leave it on for a short while then switch it off and then back on and then it comes up with the Bios setup page and it states this message:

"During your last boot up your system hung due
to improper CPU speed setting"

Even though it is at the same setting it has always been at since I have had my computer which is just over 4 years. I have even selected the correct setting on the bios screen and saved and exited but when I switched it on this morning I still had to go through the same procedure.

mgmcc 09:52 05 Oct 05

If the PC is four years old, the CMOS battery on the motherboard may need to be replaced. An exhausted battery could cause a failure to boot.

Is that the button cell that usually keeps the time on windows while the PC is off? and starts with CR? If it is it still seems to be keeping the time ok.

gudgulf 12:13 05 Oct 05

The motherboard battery does more than keep ths clock correct...it also maintains all the BIOS settings that the computer uses when it boots.

However I suspect this is not just a problem with the battery.Your CMOS settings may have become corrupt.Try rebooting the computer into the BIOS setup screen and loading the default settings from the main memory.That will purge the CMOS and replace all the standard settings for your pc.

You can also clear the CMOS settings by unplugging from the mains and removeing the battery for a few minutes.........you could replace the battery at the same time.They are not expensive if you buy one from somewhere like Boots the Chemist.That way you can be sure the battery is not culprit.

woodchip 12:17 05 Oct 05

I have know BIOS settings to change for no apparent reason. Check the BIOS settings for "FSB Front Side Bus or Frequency" for the CPU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…